Summer Assistant Job Description
Office of Residence Life
Updated February 2013
Purpose of the Position:
The Office of Residence Life employs undergraduate students to serve as Summer Assistants (SA) during the summer months (May 6, 2013 – August 19, 2013). This position is a representative of Bowling Green State University and the Office of Residence Life. The SA is the first contact to conference guest, and has the responsibility to provide strong customer service, while upholding the University’s standard and polices. The SA is seen as the face of the University during the summer months.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The following is a list of typical responsibilities, but this is not an exhausted list:
- Provide the highest level of customer service and ethical decision making
- Serve as an ambassador/recruiter for Bowling Green State University
- Assist with the day-to-day operations of a conference housed in a residence hall (i.e. administrative duties, working the front desk, etc.)
- Serve on-call (overnight in assigned buildings)
- Work check-in and check-out of conferences
- Prepare buildings for conference usage
- Close down buildings at the end of the summer conference season
- Communicate polices/procedures to conference guests
- Submit maintenance concerns and report any emergency situations
- Responsible for keeping accurate logs and house books
- Assist custodial team with building inspections from conference to conference
- Attend mandatory training sessions and staff meetings
- Work some overnight shifts
- Other duties as assigned (i.e. lifting, carrying/moving luggage, boxes, etc.)
Candidates must demonstrate academic proficiency (minimum of 2.5 cum GPA), be in good judicial standing at the time of application and throughout the term of employment. Strong customer service, communication, and campus involvement is highly sought. Preference will go to students who currently live on campus, and plan to return to campus for the next year.
This position is an hourly position of approximately 20 hours per week at $7.85 per hour. Additional hours may be requested and granted during peak times. SAs also will receive a room for the summer, as SAs are required to live on campus during the summer months.
To apply for this position, please fill out the application located at: https://reslife.bgsu.edu/forms/summer-staff.php by March 15, 2013 at 5 p.m. Late applications will NOT be accepted. After applications are received they will be reviewed and interviews offered to select candidates.