Office of Multicultural Affairs
Falcon Watch Initiative
In an effort to improve the retention and academic success of under-represented and first generation students at BGSU, the Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) has developed an initiative designed to assist students during the 2013-2014 academic year.
The OMA Falcon Watch Initiative is open to all BGSU students and is designed to specifically work with any student to develop academic success strategies, support social integration and build community among diverse groups. We acknowledge that there are multiple factors that impact retention and academic success.
The Initiative is designed not to compete against other support programs that students may be participating with.
What is required?
While participation in the program is voluntary, a student that agrees to participate in this initiative will be asked to commit to the following:
- Three 1:1 meetings with a professional staff member (Includes an Initial meeting, mid-term check-up and End of semester Check-up)
- More meetings can be scheduled
- Monitoring of Academic Progress through bi-weekly follow-ups
- Attendance at monthly Falcon Watch Community meetings (at least two per semester)
What are the benefits?
- Opportunity to talk 1:1 with a professional staff member about your needs and concerns
- Priority access to resources available through the Learning Commons, and including access to an Academic Coach
- Academic Support Resources through designated study space within the Office of Multicultural Affairs area as well Academic Support Workshops in partnership with other departments
IMPORTANT: Falcon Watch is a requirement for all NEW recipients of the University Tuition Scholarship for Historically Underrepresented Students. Returning Tuition Scholarship recipients are able to participate in the program.
The OMA Falcon Watch Initiative is designed to help each individual student through equipping them with the skills and resources needed to improve their academic standing. OMA staff will work with each student to tailor a specific success and retention plan.
The Office of Multicultural Affairs is committed to working with each student as well as collaborating with the faculty and staff to help enhance the retention and academic success of all BGSU students.
How do I participate (sign-up)?
If you are interested for Fall 2013, please sign-up via this link (please click): YES, I WANT TO SIGN-UP FOR FALCON WATCH
You will be contacted at the start of the Fall semester to schedule your initial meeting.
If you have any questions, please contact Ray Plaza, Associate Director at 2-2642 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.