Why Go Greek?
At BGSU, Greeks enjoy:
- Extensive leadership development opportunities
- Practical skills and experience to help secure internships, co-ops, and post undergraduate employment
- Social events to meet other Greeks and non-Greeks
- Networking with alumni and University leaders
- Organized intramural leagues
- Community service opportunities
- Academic support and assistance
- Lifelong friendships
Family-style living in sorority and fraternity housing has great appeal for members. Living, eating and studying together helps solidify lifelong friendships. BGSU provides trained, graduate level, live-in staff to each of the fraternity and sorority chapters housed on campus to help foster a positive learning environment. Many chapter houses have cooks who prepare meals in the house under chapter guidance. All chapter members, whether they live in the chapter house or elsewhere, benefit from being part of this vibrant community.
Standards of the Greek community:
- The Greek community prohibits all forms of hazing.
- Most Greek houses are 100% substance free (no tobacco or alcohol) and in those houses that are not, only those who are 21 are able to consume alcohol in their own room.
- Chapters and councils have different grade requirements to join.
- Chapters must maintain a 2.50 GPA.
BGSU’s Greek community is built on strong academic standards. Members expect a lot of themselves and each other. Working together, they pride themselves on academic excellence. Chapters provide:
- Group study sessions
- Workshops in test-taking strategies, study skills, time management and resume building
- More than $100,000 annually for rewards and recognition for academic achievement through honor societies, national and local scholarships, awards and banquets
- Faculty advisers offer support and advising expertise
- A computer resource room in every chapter house
Service to others and the community is part of everyday life in the Greek community. Our fraternities and sororities are generous fund raisers and service providers, annually giving more than $100,000 and 20,000 service hours to local and national chapters. Students in Greek life will:
- Give time and energy to benefit Children’s Miracle Network through Dance Marathon, the larges student-run philanthropic event on campus (and in Ohio)
- Organize dozens of chapter events to raise money and educate the campus
- Promote education on topics such as AIDS awareness, eating disorders and body image, women’s issues and other issues affecting the campus and the world
True leadership comes from experience. As a member of Greek life, you’ll find tremendous opportunities that will give you the experience to become an effective leader. Fraternities and sororities are self-governing, giving members numerous leadership possibilities. Greek life offers leadership training programs campus wide and through individual chapters.
- Leadership academy
- Emerging leaders
- Junior and senior specific programming
The brotherhood and sisterhood of Greek life is truly a “family” experience. It offers you the security and happiness that’s part of the brother/sister bond. While you don’t have to limit your social life to Greek activities, you will find many opportunities to meet and interact with your chapter, other fraternities and sororities and other campus organizations. Family-style living in on-campus sororities and fraternities has great appeal for members. Living, eating and studying together helps solidify lifelong friendships.
- Game nights
- Study groups
- Sunday night dinners