It’s time to file your 2010-2011 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)!
It is strongly recommended that you apply as early as possible. You can apply after January 1, 2010. In order to be considered for maximum financial aid opportunities, your FAFSA should be completed by March 1, 2010 for the upcoming school year.
Student Financial Aid Tips:
1. Request a Personal Identification Number (PIN) now for both student and parent at www.pin.ed.gov. The PIN is used on an annual-basis to electronically sign your FAFSA as well as any Direct Loan Master Promissory Notes (Stafford or Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)). It also gives you access to several other national databases you may want to access for financial aid history.
2. Complete the 2010-2011 FAFSA on the Web at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Filing the FAFSA on the Web will speed the application process up by 2-3 weeks.
3. Don’t forget to sign your FAFSA electronically with your PIN as indicated within the FAFSA application instructions. Please do not send your FAFSA application to BGSU. The Department of Education will forward your FAFSA results to BGSU on your behalf. BGSU’s federal school code is 003018 for your FAFSA results to be sent to BGSU.
4. Please do not submit your tax returns with your FAFSA. Maintain a “financial aid” folder with personal documents that could be used for future use.
5. Student Financial Aid correspondence will be sent via the student’s BGSU e-mail. Students will also be able to view his or her “Financial Aid Status” via http://my.bgsu.edu using their BGSU Username and Password. Information for the 2010-2011 academic year will be available online in April 2010.
More information can be found on the Student Financial Aid website at www.bgsu/edu/offices/sfa. The website allows you to get financial aid estimates, search the online Scholarship Guide, links to the FAFSA, PIN and Direct Loan websites, as well as; download forms and answer questions about the financial aid process.
Financial aid counselors are available Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at 419-372-2651 or fax 419-372-0404. No appointments are necessary for in-person financial aid counseling sessions. E-mail questions can be addressed to: https://sfa.bgsu.edu/asksfa