Summary of Core Experiences
The goal of the internship program at Bowling Green State University is to provide training experiences that prepare interns to function as generalist psychologists. Although an effort is made to individualize the training program, there is a core set of standard expectations. These expectations include the following:
- Interns are to work with a variety of clients, gaining experience not only with varying presenting concerns but also in regards to dimensions of diversity. Interns will have a weekly average of 10 -15 therapy hours, which may include individual, group, and couples. There will be a mixture of short-term and long-term clients (2-3).
- Interns will provide 3-4 hours of walk-in coverage weekly.
- Interns will lead or co-lead a minimum of two therapy, support, or psycho-educational groups during the internship year.
- Interns will complete a minimum of four community intervention presentations per semester and will be involved in one consultation/liaison relationship with another unit on campus. The liaison relationship will be developed based on input from the interns.
- Interns will provide supervision to graduate assistant(s) during the second half of the internship. Supervision will include weekly meetings, tape review time, and giving evaluation/feedback to the student.
- Interns will spend up to two hours per week on scholarly activities. Interns will complete a scholarly/research project and also complete a formal client presentation.
- Interns will be evaluated formally by their supervisors at the end of each semester. These evaluations will assess current strengths and weaknesses and will be used to focus on the next semester’s supervision. Less formal evaluations will be scheduled with the interns’ individual supervisors and the Training Director. Interns will evaluate their supervisors each semester and evaluate their internship program twice during the year.
- Interns will spend 3 to 4 hours per week in training seminars that combine didactic and experiential learning.