Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) for Grade Submission in CSS
- How are grades entered into the CSS?
- What is Faculty Self-Service?
- How can I learn about how to enter grades?
- I use Blackboard, can I input grades using Blackboard?
- Do I need to be on campus to enter grades?
- What hours is the system available to enter grades?
- Can I import grades from another application such as Excel or another gradebook application?
Grade Roster Availability, Submission Deadlines and Grade Recording
- How will I know when the Grade Roster is available to me?
- I have tried selecting the Grade Roster icon available above the Teaching Schedule in Faculty Center but nothing happens, what do I do?
- When can I start entering final grades for a semester?
- What is the deadline for entering final grades for a semester?
- What happens if grades are not entered by this deadline?
- When will the grades be available for students to see?
- When will grades appear on Official Transcripts?
- Is this same method to be used for grades throughout the term or just for final grades?
- Will this in any way impact mid-term grade reporting?
- How are grade changes handled - will this also be electronic?
- How are INC (incompletes) handled?
- What about students who deserved a WP when they withdrew?
- What do the various grade inputs represent?
- Do I need to enter the grades into Blackboard in a specific format?
- Is there any way to remove the OK box that appears after each grade entry when using Blackboard?
- I have entered all my final grades in the CSS External Grade column in Blackboard, am I now finished?
- I have completed the process to interface my grades from Blackboard to Faculty Center but I have errors and warnings - how do I proceed?
Faculty Center Specific
- What if I log in to the system and my class is not there?
- I have a large class, can I enter some of my grades at different times?
- Will the grade entry application "time out" after a period of inactivity?
- I am ready to enter grades into Faculty Center and the Grade column for one student is already complete - why is this happening?
- Who can enter grades?
- Can I delegate entry of grades to someone else, such a a department secretary?
- What do I do if a student does not appear on my Grade Roster?
- What if a student on my Grade Roster has never attended the class or turned in any work?
- If there is more than one instructor of record for a course, does each one have the authority to enter grades?
- Do I need to enter a grade for every student on the Grade Roster?
- Will the system let me know if I am missing a student's grade?
- If I make a mistake and enter the wrong grade, how do I correct it?
- If I complete only some of the grade roster, will the system automatically save my submission?
- At what point will my grades officially be entered?
- Once grades are entered and I have selected Post can I go back and make changes?
- When entering grades in Faculty Center, what are the different Approval Status levels available in the pull down menu?
- I have entered my grades but have not selected Post can I still make changes?
- How do I do a grade change?
- Can I get a printout after I enter my grades?
- How can I verify that grades have been successfully submitted?
- Will I receive a confirmation that grades have been entered into the system after I have posted my grades?
- Will the system automatically send my grades to Registration and Records if I have not submitted them by the deadline?
- If I need to do a Grade Change for a student, will the column on Faculty Center entitled Official Grade be updated once this grade change has been approved?
- I understand that grades are available to students as soon as I post grades, but when is Academic Standing updated?
- What if I don't use a computer?
- Is there assistance if I need help?
|Q: How are grades entered into CSS?|
|A: Entry may be completed either via Faculty Center in MyBGSU or they may be entered via Blackboard and interfaced to Faculty Center.|
|Q: What is Faculty Self-Service?|
A: Faculty Self Service is the location in which BGSU faculty members will find Class Roster, Grade Roster, and Advisee information along with other useful functions. A Faculty Center Overview is available for reference.
|Q: How can I learn about how to enter grades?|
A: There are online tutorials and quick reference guides available to provide guidance on how to complete grade submission. Links to these items are available at:
|Q: I use Blackboard, can I input grades using Blackboard?|
A: If you are a faculty member who uses Blackboard you may submit final grades via Blackboard. This online tutorial and/or Quick Reference Guide provide instructions on how to complete the submission process.
|Q: Do I need to be on campus to enter grades?|
|A: No, you do not be on campus in order to enter grades. Grade entry may be completed from any location where you have access to a web browser.|
|Q: What hours is the system available to enter grades?|
|A: Grade entry is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week.|
|Q: When can I start entering final grades for a semester?|
|A: You may enter grades for a semester once the Grade Roster for the course is available in Faculty Center. Typically the Grade Roster will be available the Monday prior to finals.|
|Q: What is the deadline for entering final grades for a semester?|
|A: In general, the deadline for entering grades for a semester will be the Wednesday following finals week.|
|Q: When will grades appear on Official Transcripts?|
|A: Grades will appear on the official transcript the day after the term grade deadline.|
|Q: Is this same method to be used for grades throughout the term or just for final grades?|
|A: This grade submission process will currently be used for final grade submission only.|
|Q: Will this in any way impact mid-term grade reporting?|
|A: The mid-term grade reporting process will currently remain unchanged.|
|Q: How are grade changes handled - will this also be electronic?|
|A: Grade changes will continue to be handled through the same department initiated process.|
|Q: What if I log in to the system and my class is not there?|
|A: Contact Registration and Records.|
|Q: I have a large class, can I enter some of my grades at different times?|
|A: Yes, you may enter grades for a portion of your class and then select Save to save this work. You may then log out return at a later time to complete grade entry.|
|Q: What do I do if a student does not appear on my Grade Roster?|
|A: If a student does not appear on your class roster, this student will need to contact their college office to have the course added to their schedule.|
|Q: If I complete only some of the Grade Roster, will the system automatically save my submission?|
|A: The system completes a Save of entries when the Save button is selected, there is no AutoSave feature.|
|Q: At what point will my grades officially be entered?|
|A: Once you have selected "Post" your grades have officially been entered and students are able to view their grades.|
|Q: How do I do a grade change?|
|A: The Grade Change process is originated from within each department. Please see your department office for details on this process.|
|Q: Can I get a printout after I enter my grades?|
|A: You can print the roster from the browser or there is a Printer Friendly Version button at the bottom of the roster.|
|Q: How can I verify that grades have been successfully submitted|
|A: Once grades have been successfully submitted, the grades will appear in the Official Grade column and "Posted" will appear Status column on the far right.|
| Q: I understand that grades are available to students as soon as I post grades, but when is Academic Standing updated?|
|A: Academic Standing will be available following grade processing, which is completed the Wednesday after finals week.|
|Q: What if I don't use a computer?|
|A: You may contact the Office of Registration and Records to arrange for a time to come to their office in order to obtain assistance in entering your grades.|
|Q: Is there assistance if I need help?|
|A: Yes, please contact the Office of Registration and Records at email@example.com, 419-372-8441.|
Return to Grade Submission Web Page
Last Updated 12/6/11