History and setting
of the University
Green State University is situated on a 1,338-acre
campus, which includes 116 buildings. The University
offers 14 associate degree programs, more than
200 undergraduate majors and programs, 13 master's
degree programs in 120 fields, two specialist
degree programs, and 14 doctoral programs. More
than 20,400 students (about 3,100 are graduate
students), including 18,700 on main campus and
1,700 at BGSU Firelands, are enrolled at the
University and various off-campus centers. At
the center of the University's academic community
are more than 830 full-time faculty members,
who are engaged in teaching, research, and scholarship
in 1910 as a teacher-training institution, Bowling Green
held its first classes in 1914, but it was not until the
following year that the first two buildingsnow University
Hall and Williams Hallwere ready for use. Student
enrollment for that initial year totaled 304, with a faculty
of 21. The first bachelor's degrees were awarded in 1917.
1929, the functions of Bowling Green were expanded to
provide four-year degree programs in the College of Education
and the College of Liberal Arts. The College of Business
Administration and graduate programs were added in 1935,
the year in which Bowling Green attained full university
status. In 1947, the Graduate School was formed, and BGSU
awarded its first doctoral degrees in English in 1963.
in 1946, extension programs of the University
were offered in Sandusky, Ohio. During the next
two decades, course offerings there were expanded,
and in 1965 a regional campus of the University
was established to serve Erie, Huron, and Ottawa
counties. That campus is BGSU Firelands, in
Huron, Ohio. BGSU Firelands, which opened for
classes in 1967, offers career and technical
education leading to associate degrees in 13
areas, as well as the first two years of baccalaureate
the 1970s, three new colleges were added. In 1973, the College of Health and Human Services was established to
provide degree programs in specialized areas in various
health and community service fields. In 1975, the School
of Music was expanded into the College of Musical Arts,
and in the same year the Graduate School became the Graduate
College. The School of Technology was granted college
status in 1985.
Library is the heart of the academic community.
BGSU Libraries house collections of more than
six million items, including books, journals,
periodicals, microforms, government documents,
sound recordings, and other research materials.
The library is linked by computer to a powerful
statewide library and information system. In
addition, the library is nationally known for
its special collections, particularly in popular
culture, popular music, and the Great Lakes.
new Bowen-Thompson Student Union, reopened in early 2002,
provides space for the offices of student life and campus
involvement as well as approximately 40 student organizations.
Mileti Alumni Center is the hub for the many
activities of the University's alumni. It contains
meeting rooms, a library, and office space.