Team and Projects
The BGSU IDEAL Team and Projects
- Co-Director: Dr. Julie Barnes (College of Arts & Sciences)
- Team Coach: Dr. Deborah O'Neil (Management)
- Third Year Change Leaders:
- Second Year Change Leaders:
- First Year Change Leaders:
Institutional Transformation ThemeBuild intellectual community and collegiality
- Design and apply Climate Survey to BGSU faculty; analyze issues specific to women in STEM
- Hold focus group discussion with women faculty in STEM to further identify biases, barriers, and issues associated with career advancement at BGSU
- Host a multiple-event campus visit by the internationally-recognized Title IX expert Dr. Bernice Sandler, including a panel discsussion, breakfast and luncheon discussions, a presentation to Faculty Senate on "The Chilly Classroom Climate."
- Design and host meetings with faculty search committees in all STEM fields to discuss issues of bias and recruitment, and present "Faculty Recruitment for Diversity and Excellence"
- Complete and disseminate a full assessment of the Climate Survey and promote solutions to actionable items with BGSU Administration
- Implement and institutionalize a Writing Club to support scholarship and career advancement of women and underrepresented minorities in STEM, and to provide a forum for community discussion and development.
- Foster discussions among STEM faculty about biases, barriers and issues identified by the climate survey
- Increase campus wide awareness of the importance of diversity in STEM
- Implement and institutionalize initiatives to promote collegiality and support STEM faculty
Teams from the IDEAL partner institutions meet bi-monthly to share information, develop their change projects, and learn from specialists and consultants about the change process, organizational development, and best practices from ADVANCE institutions.