Information and Services
- McMaster Visiting Scientist
- “The Long and Winding Road: A Career in Genetics” -- public lecture by Dr. Sherri Bale, Monday, March 19, 2012, 4-5pm, BTSU 206
- “Molecular approaches to the diagnosis of genetic disease: Finding the Zebras” – technical lecture in Biological Sciences, Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 10-11am, Life Sciences Building room 112
- Diversity Recruitment Meetings:
- Tuesday, November 15, 2011 from 11:30-12:20 in 154 Overman Hall, and
- Friday, November 18, 2011 from 1:30-2:20 in 132 Overman Hall
- Organized by: Andy Layden (Physics & Astronomy), Peg Yacobucci (Geology), Royce Ann Martin (Engineering Technologies), Diem Nguyen (Mathematics & Statistics), Karen Root (Biological Sciences)
- Effort Aimed at Increasings Women on Science Faculties (Toledo Blade, May 11, 2010)
- Godmother of Title IX Comes to BGSU (Sentinel-Tribune, May 1, 2010)
- Bernice Sandler & IDEAL (BGSU Monitor, April 26, 2010)
2010 Climate Survey
- Provost Introduction
- Climate Survey Part 1 Results
- Climate Survey Part 2 Results
- Climate Survey Part 3 Results
- Data & Description of the 2010 BGSU Climate Survey
- Discuss the Climate Survey results on the BGSU/IDEAL blog
- Faculty Recruitment for Diversity and Excellence: a powerpoint file complementing presentations made by the Year 2 members to faculty search committees in several STEM departments during Fall 2010.
- identifies subtle biases faced by women and under-represented minorities in the course of their careers,
- shows how this "leaky pipeline" leads to increasing under-representation of these groups at BGSU and other institutions,
- demonstrates how search committes can recognize and minimize these biases in their searches.
- Strategies for a Fair Recruiting Practice (Peg Yacobucci and the BGSU IDEAL team, PDF).
- Univ. of Michigan's Candidate Evaluation Tool (UM STRIDE team, MSWord).
- BGSU's Office of Equity and Diversity and its Search Committee Orientation information.
- Summary of Best Hiring Practices (Univ. of Akron)
- Not biased? Check your reactions with the Implicit Associations Test.
Faculty Retention and Promotion
- AAUW 2004 Report Tenure Denied: Cases of Sex Discrimination in Academia
- Powerpoint slides from CWRU Promotion and Tenure Bias discussion School of Engineering
- Tips to Regain Control (Mayo Clinic)
STEM Writing Club
Working Groups of National and Regional Societies
- American Association of University Women
- Committee on the Status of (Women // Minorities) in Astronomy (American Astronomical Society)
- Women in Computing (Assoc. for Computing Machinery)
- Diversity Programs and Resources in Biology (American Institute of Biological Sciences)
- Women Chemists Committee (American Chemical Society)
- Association for Women Geoscientists, American Geophysical Union Diversity Plan
- Association of Women in Mathematics
- Women // Minorities in Physics (American Physical Society)
- Women in Neuroscience (Society for Neuroscience)
Readings and Resources
- Bias Called Persistent Hurdle for Women in Sciences (NY Times)
- Workplaces that Work: Creating a Workplace Culture that Attracts, Retains and Promotes Women
- Has the Women-in-Mathematics Problem Been Solved? (AMS)
- ADVANCE portal (Univ of VT / NSF) and ADVANCE program (NSF)