Administrative Staff Position Vacancy Announcement
MANAGER, ACADEMIC ADVISING – Firelands College
More information about the Academic and Student Services office at BGSU Firelands:CLICK HERE
To apply click the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org and attach your cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references
This position is responsible for directing the activities of and overseeing the everyday operation of the Academic/Student Services Office at BGSU Firelands and works closely with the Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs to interpret and apply University academic policy and procedure, as well as coordinating the advising activities of twenty-three faculty advisers. All aspects of planning/conducting New Student Orientation as well as all official verification of Graduation Eligibility are responsibilities carried out by the person in this role.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Direct and supervise all day to day operations of the Academic/Student Services Office
- Provide comprehensive academic advising to continuing, new, and prospective students
- Determine, verify, and confirm all graduation eligibility for Firelands College applicants through completing all degree audits and all follow up required (with student, adviser, and with other university offices)
- Develop, organize, coordinate, and evaluate all New and Transfer Student Orientations for the college
- Serve as liaison with department chairs, departmental advisers, main campus advisers and support staff, including any necessary follow up or required paperwork
- Represent the Academic/Student Services office at Academic Affairs/Academic Review Board (ARB) meetings, including preparing and coordinating all student files for review, maintaining and producing archival
- Information of ARB activities and decisions, scheduling, and coordination of all ARB meetings
This list of essential duties, tasks and responsibilities is not all-inclusive; individual will perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of university/college academic policy and procedure
- Comprehensive knowledge of university degree programs, especially those degrees granted by BGSU Firelands
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including effective presentation skills
- Strong organizational skills, with an emphasis on attention to detail
- Ability to interact effectively with administrators, faculty, staff, students, parents and all other members of the campus/university community
- Ability to function as part of, as well as lead, a team in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment
- Extensive understanding of and familiarity with university and community support services in order to make effective and proactive student referrals
- Knowledge of computer applications, including but not limited to CSS, Microsoft Office, BG web portal and registration system.
Master's in Guidance and Counseling or College Student Personnel or related area required. Two years supervisory experience; at least 3 years of experience applying academic policy/procedure and advising in the university setting; at least 2 full years of participating in the cyclical nature of activities/responsibilities of the Academic/Student Services Office required.
Pre-Employment Background Check
Final candidate(s) are required to authorize and pass a background investigation prior to an offer of employment. Offers of employment are conditional until a background investigation has been successfully completed and all other pre-employment requirements are satisfied. The University reserves the right to determine and confirm suitability for employment and to end any employment already begun if the background check reveals disqualifying information.
Full-time, Administrative staff position available. Administrative pay grade 357. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefit package available.
For more information on Administrative pay grades and ranges click HERE
Submit cover letter w/email address, resume, and contact information of 3 professional references (in one document as one attachment if possible) to email@example.com or regular mail to:
Office of the Dean (L-62485)
Bowling Green State University Firelands
One University Drive
Huron, OH 44839
Deadline to apply: December 28, 2012
(Official transcript(s) will be required of final candidates.)
Bowling Green State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer. We are committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities. BGSU hires only individuals authorized to work in the United States. For information regarding BGSU’s crime statistics, please visit Public Safety’s website at www.bgsu.edu/offices/safety.
Information on Firelands area Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Centers. Details: here
To return to all Administrative Staff Vacancies click HERE