Administrative Staff Position Vacancy Announcement
DIRECTOR OF DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION/UNVERSITY ARCHITECT
Office of Design and Construction
To learn more about Design & Construction: Click HERE
To apply click the following email address: email@example.com and attach in one attachment if possible, your cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references
This position exists to provide leadership and direction over the physical development of BGSU campuses, including: planning; design; data collection/GIS/mapping; architecture and engineering; construction and construction management. Examples of developments include: new and renovated infrastructure, buildings; civic structures, MEP systems, landscape, energy systems, sustainability systems and the university’s Data Hub repository. The University Architect is licensed by the State of Ohio to protect the health, life, safety and welfare of the public.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
• Provide leadership, direction and management expertise to Design and Construction, Data Hub and Resource Center, and Small Projects Group units. Develop, recommend and implement comprehensive policies, procedures, annual goals and objectives; develop long term and short term plans and manage the execution and performance necessary to achieve goals for all units.
• Provide leadership, vision and technical expertise in planning, architecture and engineering, and design for campus environment and the University community. Provide design direction for facility design; campus environment and infrastructure; programmatic and functional needs; building design integration; and contextual and aesthetic design elements for the campus. Manage and monitor all small, medium and large planning, new construction, renovation, rehabilitation, civil and civic infrastructure projects (campus utilities, tunnels, roadways, grounds, landscape, etc.). Assure quality planning and design, project scopes, schedules and budgets.
• Provide direction and oversight of scope, budgets and schedules for campus projects. These may range in cost from $75,000 to $65,000,000. The projects involve renovation of small office or department work environments to large new building planning, design and construction projects for the Bowling Green and Firelands campuses. Guide and manage Design and Construction departmental operating, Data Hub unit, and Small Projects Group budgets. Manage and monitor the performance of State and locally funded projects. Develop strategies for rapid completion of emergency projects as they occur, and work to streamline the existing project completion schedule where possible.
• Manage the day to day activities of internal personnel and external professional service providers (consultants, architects, engineers, contractors, developers, etc.) associated with all small, medium and large campus projects. Assign projects and monitor project loads for staff. Provide regular opportunities for skill advancement, guidance for maintaining team building, professional growth opportunities, and individual leadership development.
• Develop and maintain effective customer service working relationships with internal University and external stakeholders. Maintain strong working relationship with Campus Operations in the planning and execution of projects.
• Ensure authoritative review, assessment and advisement to the campus community regarding National and State regulatory requirements, contracting procedures and other processes that govern design and construction. Maintain compliance with Federal, State, City, County and University policies, rules and regulations including: State of Ohio Department of Administrative Services (DAS), Ohio Revised Code (ORC), Ohio Board of Regents (OBR), State Architects Office (SAO), Ohio Basic Building Code (OBBC), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Federal Aviation Association (FAA), Ohio department of Transportation (ODOT), National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB), National Society for Professional Engineers (NSPE), Construction Specifications Institute (CSI), American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), American National Standards Institute (ANSI), Construction Institute (CI), Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED), American Society of heating refrigeration and Air-Conditioning (ASHRAE), and other regulations.
• Direct and guide project planning and execution for environmental sustainability, “green building”, LEED certification, energy conservation, building commissioning, regulatory compliance, etc. for the campus physical environment.
• All other duties as assigned or as may be necessary to Support the physical development of the campus.
This list of essential duties, tasks and responsibilities is not all-inclusive; individual will perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
• Occupant of position must demonstrate the following:
• Significant leadership and management of both professional and hourly personnel. Also, experience in managing a professional department of planning, architecture, engineering, and construction for a university campus or institutional environment. Alternatively, occupant must have strong experience managing teams of architects, engineers, and project managers for universities or large institutional clients. Overseeing and managing large scale building developments is very important.
• Experience in problem solving and dispute resolution; sound business judgment;, and ability to prioritize competing and conflicting demands, issues and priorities.
• Experience with the full-spectrum of project delivery methods, including but not limited to design/build, construction manager at-risk, construction manager advisor, multiple and single prime contracting, and fast-track.
• Outstanding customer service and collaborative problem-solving skills.
• Ability to develop and communicate a vision for the department, engender the support and enthusiasm of staff, demonstrate integrity and high moral standards of behavior and leadership, and collaborate with peers throughout the university.
• Understanding of facility and campus infrastructure systems including structural, heating, cooling, steam/condensate, electrical, fire, automation, elevators, information technology, civil /utility (sewer, storm, gas, water, electrical distribution, roadways, parking, etc.) and landscape.
• Knowledge of industry standards of practice (architecture, engineering, construction); and professional codes of ethics and conduct for architecture, engineering, and construction.
• A high level of understanding and sensitivity to design and design issues; creativity and imagination; and a strong sense and appreciation for architectural and environmental aesthetics.
• Experience with data organization, data technology, software, and related problem solving. Also, ability to provide guidance in areas of data management and resourcing; data distribution (collection, access and retrieval); mapping; Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Global Positioning Systems (GPS); surveying; 3 dimensional modeling; Building Information Management (BIM); and computer aided design. Must have a working knowledge of information technology systems and be current with practices in data design, development and methods.
• Knowledge and understanding of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards and environmental safety regulations, State of Ohio’s Public Employees Risk Reduction Program (PERRP), National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA), American Society for Testing of Materials (ASTM), Ohio Basic Building Code (OBBC), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), etc. Also, must demonstrate experience with construction safety procedures and programs, and construction site administration and supervision.
A professional level Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or Engineering and a Masters degree in Architecture, Planning, Construction Management or Business Administration. Experience or additional training in Geographic Information Systems, data collection, mapping and associated technology is valuable. Specialization in environmental sustainability and Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) is important.
Minimum of eight years of progressively responsible leadership and management responsibility for planning, design, architecture, engineering, construction, financing and scheduling of large complex physical structures (like a campus, city, large business complex, etc.).
An Ohio Registered Licensed Architect or Engineer with certification in good standing. LEED Accredited Professional (USGBC) certification is desirable.
Pre-Employment Background Check
Final candidate(s) are required to authorize and pass a background investigation prior to an offer of employment. Offers of employment are conditional until a background investigation has been successfully completed and all other pre-employment requirements are satisfied. The University reserves the right to determine and confirm suitability for employment and to end any employment already begun if the background check reveals disqualifying information.
Full-time, Administrative staff position available. Administrative pay grade 361. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefit package available. For more information on Administrative pay grades and ranges click HERE
Submit cover letter w/email address, resume, and contact information of 3 professional references (in one document as one attachment if possible) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or regular mail to:
Office of Human Resources (Search J-62444)
1851 N. Research Drive
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH 43403
Deadline to apply: November 23, 2012
(Credentials must be received by the deadline date. Official transcript(s) will be required of final candidates.)
Bowling Green State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer. We are committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities. BGSU hires only individuals authorized to work in the United States. For information regarding BGSU’s crime statistics, please visit Public Safety’s web site at www.bgsu.edu/offices/safety.
|Full-time staff members are offered many benefits at BGSU for a brief description click: here||Bowling Green was recently named one of the best home towns in Ohio. Details: here||Information from the Bowling Green Visitor and Convention Bureau. Details: here|
Information from the Bowling Green Chamber of Commerce. Details: here
|New resident information from the city of Bowling Green’s web site. Details: here|
To return to all Administrative Staff Vacancies click HERE