Orientation Leader Information
2014 Orientation Leader Application
New Student Orientation & First Year Programs
Thank you for your interest in the Orientation Leader position for the 2014 Student Orientation, Advising & Registration (SOAR) and Opening Weekend programs. SOAR is a chance for new BGSU students and their guests to learn more about academic and student life at BGSU. Opening Weekend is an opportunity to help first-year students transition to BGSU successfully. As an Orientation Leader, you will be the first contact for students and guests as they arrive on campus, as you guide them through their SOAR experience. During Opening Weekend you will have the additional responsibility of training and supervising a select group of Opening Weekend Group Leaders.
Please carefully review the information provided below as you consider applying for the Orientation Leader position. We encourage you to contact Albert Perera, or Jessica Huddleston, with any questions you may have about this leadership opportunity.
Application Deadline | 12:00pm (noon) Thursday November 7
Group Interview Dates | 6-9 pm Wednesday November 20, 6-9 pm Thursday November 21, or 6-9 pm Friday November 22
Individual Interview Dates | Monday December 2 – Tuesday December 10
Final Notification | Friday December 13, 2013
Interested in applying? Follow the 6 steps below.
- Read the 2014 OL Position Description.
- Attend one of the Information Sessions listed below. If you are unable to attend one of the scheduled information sessions, contact Albert Perera. You can also send requests to Albert to have an Information Session presented at your student organization.
- Monday, October 21 | 8:00 P.M. | Olscamp 227
- Tuesday, October 22 | 6:00 P.M. | Olscamp 229
- Thursday, October 24 | 7:00 P.M. | Olscamp 106
- Sunday, October 27 | 7:00 P.M. | Olscamp 119
- Tuesday, October 29 | 11:00 A.M. | Olscamp 121
- Wednesday, October 30 | 6:00 P.M. | Business Administration 101
- Friday, November 1 | 2:00 P.M. | Olscamp 227
- Sunday, November 3 | 8:00 P.M. | Olscamp 106
- Monday, November 4 | 9:00 P.M. | Business Administration 102
- Tuesday, November 5 | 5:00 P.M. | Olscamp 229
- Tuesday, November 5 | 8:30 P.M. | Business Administration 100
- Wednesday, November 6 | 9:00 P.M. | Business Administration 102
- Complete the OL Application. This includes filling out your personal information, academic information, previous experience, your group interview availability, answering 4 short answer questions, creating a personal statement page, and including contact information for two BGSU faculty or staff members to serve as references. The application must be TYPED. The application is found here: 2014 OL Application.
- If you were a 2013 Opening Weekend Group Leader (OWGL), you must have your Orientation Leader complete an additional Reference Form for you. The form should be returned to you in a sealed envelope with your application. The OWGL Reference Form can be found here: OWGL Reference Form.
- Create a resume. If you are unsure what your resume should look like, just ask us or visit the Career Center on the 3rd floor of the Math Science Building, also found on the web at http://www.bgsu.edu/offices/career/.
- Complete and submit a paper copy of your TYPED application by 12 p.m. (noon) on Thursday, November 7th, 2013, in a sealed envelope to New Student Orientation and First Year Programs Office, 104K University Hall. After the initial screening of applications, you will be notified of your status for the group interview round.
Last updated: October 2013