While faculty and students are gearing up for a successful new year, so are classified staff members. Among the goals this year for the Classified Staff Council (CSC) is to promote personal/professional development opportunities for all classified staff.
Each month, at the beginning of the regular CSC meeting, the council will sponsor a 30-minute program on a helpful topic, ranging from communications to money matters and health care.
“Our theme for the year is ‘The strength of the team is the individual member, and the strength of each member is the team,’” explains CSC Chair Faith Olson, who is serving in the leadership role for the second time.
The meetings are held on the third Wednesday of each month, with the professional development topics presented from 10-10:30 a.m.
The topics, dates and locations are as follows:
• Aug. 20 “Communicating with Our Constituents,” 207 Bowen-Thompson Student Union
• Sept. 17 “Flexible Spending Accounts and Health Care Plan Changes,” 208 or 315 Union
• Oct. 15 “Money Matters: Getting Out of Debt,” 201B or 315 Union
• Nov. 19 “Money Matters: Setting Up a Budget,” 309 or 315 Union
• Dec. 17 “Money Matters: Planning for Purchases/Saving for Retirement,” 315 Union
• Jan. 21, 2009 “Medical Mutual Test Results and Strategies to Improve,” 315 Union
• Feb. 18 “How to Be a Better Health Plan Consumer,” 315 Union
• March 18 To Be Announced, 315 Union
• April 15 “Becoming Healthier through Diet Changes,” 315 Union
• May 20 “Becoming Healthier through Exercise,” 315 Union
Any changes in the programs will be included in campus updates and announced in the listproc prior to the monthly meetings. For more information, contact members of Classified Staff Council. Contact information is available at www.bgsu.edu/organizations/csc/page35801.html.