Surplus Property Policy
Stephanie Sickler (firstname.lastname@example.org)
| || |
SAS 112 Applic.
The Purchasing Department is the responsible agency for the processing and disposal of items which are no longer needed or usable by Bowling Green State University (BGSU). This centralization is important to ensure compliance with applicable state statutes, and to match the surplus property of one University department with the needs of another. The goal is to redistribute property to other University departments wherever feasible.
Purchasing has delegated computer disposal responsibility and authority to Information Technology Services (ITS) for all computer-related equipment.
Disposing of non-computer items:
- Notify Campus Operations at 419-372-2121 whenever items become surplus for possible placement in other areas.
- Complete and submit the Surplus Property Pick Up Request Form to schedule your item for pickup.
- For items which originally cost more than $3500, complete the Equipment Disposal Form and forward to Purchasing. In cases where the purchase value is unknown, but could be near or above $3500, please complete the form. Purchasing and Property Accounting will assess whether the item is on the University’s fixed asset listing.
- Property or equipment obtained under sponsored research agreements such as grants, contracts, or cooperative agreements may have restrictions on the use and disposition of capital equipment acquired under those agreements. In such cases, Deans, chairs and directors should contact the Office of Sponsored Programs and Research for review and approval before any disposition of such property or equipment.
- Departments having unique surplus items with limited markets should contact the Director of Business Operations at 419-372-8415 to make special arrangements for disposal.
Disposing of computers and computer-related items:
- For items which have an ITS tag (white oval with red border, or BGSU bar code), contact the Technology Support Center to schedule pickup. The Interim Director of Enterprise Systems will approve disposal or reassignment.
- For items which originally cost more than $3500, complete the Equipment Disposal Form and forward to ITS. In cases where the purchase value is unknown, but could be near or above $3500, please complete the form. ITS and Property Accounting will assess whether the item is on the University’s fixed asset listing.
Obtaining items for your department:
- Periodic viewings are held of the surplus property at the Park Avenue Warehouse. Visit the Logistics homepage to view the schedule.
Obtaining items for personal use:
- A public auction of surplus University property is normally held annually. All University employees and the general public are invited to the auctions. No sale of University property will be made to University employees or other individuals except through the public auctions or other advertised sales.
- Deans, department chairs, and directors are authorized to declare that property in their area(s) of responsibility is surplus and/or no longer usable. They are also responsible for maintaining written documentation for the disposition of property from their area(s) that meets or exceeds the asset capitalization threshold of $3500.
Once printed, this policy may be outdated. The official policy can be found at http://www.bgsu.edu/offices/materials/page22565.html.
Additional statements related to surplus materials may be found in other policies issued by Purchasing or Logistics.