Honors Learning Community
This is Your Space.
The Loft is a place for you and your community. It is shared, it is open, it is intentional, and it is yours. Do with it what you will.
You are given a key (well actually a PED; an electronic door opening device) to a 24/7 open area that houses thousands of existing and potential memories. Exclusive to HLC members, your access gives you a mutual bond with the other community members.
This list is non-exhaustive, so be creative, and be respectful:
- Sit here quietly, maybe reading or listening to music, relaxing to the sound of your peers in conversation, or if you are lucky, it will be quiet and relaxing.
- Converse openly.
- Converse privately.
- Browse the never-ending library of books, graphic novels, reference books, maps, etc.
- Check your email on your laptop or on our Macs and PCs located at the end of the room.
- Play the piano or teach someone to play the piano, however not during office hours. The faculty and staff of the HLC and Honors Program work hard to maintain a top-notch program, and they need to focus.
- During office hours, make an appointment with the Honors Staff.
- Watch TV or a Movie with your friends. The Loft is 100 times bigger than the residence hall rooms, so you can congregate a lot of people for a funny, scary, or exciting shared experience.
- Play Games — Jenga, Scrabble, Euchre, Scattergories, Apples to Apples, Poker, Monopoly, Risk, Chess…Anything!
- Work on homework at our large tables, used for collaborative group work, or our individual lounge chairs for your private convenience.
- Order pizza or Cookie Jar.
- Don’t do your artwork here, but do put it up!
Feel free to view a video about the previous home of the loft, courtesy of one of our students: