Environmental Health and Safety
Fire Safety Information
Student fire safety at BGSU is a cooperative effort of many agencies and departments, including the Bowling Green Fire Division, Environmental Health and Safety, Campus Operations, Public Safety, Residence Life, Risk Management, and Student Affairs. For more information, please contact us at 419-372-2171.
BGSU Works to ensure residential fire safety by implementing:
- Student room fire safety inspections twice a year.
- No candles or incense in student rooms.
- Standards for electrical appliances, electrical cords and furniture.
- Monthly inspections of over 2000 fire extinguishers.
- Yearly fire training exercises by local Fire Division.
- Smoke/heat detectors in every student room.
- 24 hour monitoring of residential fire detection systems.
- Free fire extinguisher training for residents.
- Special fire safety training for Residence Life Staff.
- Minimum of two fire drills per semester with evacuation verification.
- Student discipline for violation of fire safety policies.
- No smoking in University buildings.
- Candle Policy
- Decoration Policy
- Fire Alarm Procedures
- Fire Preparedness Exercise
- Fire Safety Training
- Guidelines For Emergency Evacuation Of Persons With Physical Disabilities
- No Smoking Policy
- Portable Heaters and Halogen Lamps
- Tent Requirements for Outdoor Events
- University Fire Watch Procedures
- Residence Hall Living - What to Bring