Emergency Management & Response
- Remain calm, do not engage the intruder.
- If you can do so safely, try to escape the area quickly and quietly.
- If attempting to escape, do not carry phones or other objects in your hands. These could be mistaken for weapons. If you encounter responding law enforcement officers as you move away from the intruder, RAISE YOUR HANDS with OPEN PALMS visible. Follow all the instructions officers may give you.
- If you CANNOT SAFELY EXIT the building, seek shelter in a room where the doors can be locked or barricaded securely.
- Close and lock windows, lower blinds, remain out of sight, turn off lights.
- Once secured inside, take cover behind heavy desks or filing cabinets. Stay away from windows and doors.
- Remain quiet, turn off cell phone ringers.
- ONLY ONE PERSON from the room should call University Police at 911 and tell them where you are, where the intruder is (if known), and the condition of others with you. Follow their instructions. If you cannot speak, leave the line open so the dispatcher can hear what is going on.
- Do not respond to any unfamiliar voice commands, until you can be sure that they are coming from a police officer.
- Do not open the door until you can be positive that it is a police officer or a recognized campus official coming to help you.
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy