Emergency Management & Response
Tornado and Severe Weather
Tornado and Severe Weather Alerts
Tornado Watch - weather conditions are right for a tornado to develop.
Tornado Warning - a tornado has been sighted.
If the warning siren is activated or the weather is threatening:
- Go to the building's tornado shelter area. Designated tornado shelter areas for each building can be found on the tornado posters located next to exits and exit ways.
- Go to the basement or an inside room or hallway at the lowest level of the building.
- Avoid places with wide-span roofs, such as auditoriums, cafeterias, and large hallways.
- Get under a piece of sturdy furniture, such as a heavy table or desk, if possible.
- Use your arms to protect your head and neck.
- If outside, get into a ditch or depressed area. Do not use a vehicle as a safe area or to outrun the tornado.
After a tornado:
- Stay out of damaged buildings until authorities determine it is safe to enter.
- Assume all wires on the ground are charged so do not touch.
If you hear or smell leaking gas, do not strike a match or lighter or turn on a light switch; any size flame or spark could cause an explosion. Exit the area and call 911 to report the leaking gas.
Statistics show that lightning is more dangerous than a tornado. If you can see it (lightning), flee it (take shelter). If you can hear it (thunder), clear it (suspend activities).
During a Lightning Storm:
- Do not use telephones or electrical appliances.
- Stay away from doors and windows.
- Do not bathe or shower when severe weather threatens.
- Avoid bodies of water, trees, tents, ball field dugouts, light poles, metal fences, etc.
- Get off riding lawn mowers or golf carts and seek appropriate shelter.
Note: Monitor local weather stations with radio, weather radio, or TV.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA): http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=iln&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no
- Severe Weather in Northwest Ohio: http://www.bgsu.edu/offices/envhs/page21576.html
- Severe Weather Alert Terms: http://www.bgsu.edu/offices/envhs/page21579.html
- Emergency Procedures for a Tornado or Severe Thunderstorm: http://www.bgsu.edu/offices/envhs/page21580.html
- Tornado Safety Training: http://www.bgsu.edu/downloads/finance/file14241.pdf
- Tornado Safety Training Powerpoint Presentation: http://www.bgsu.edu/downloads/finance/file14242.ppt
- The Online Tornado FAQ (NOAA): http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/#Safety