Emergency Management & Response
Crimes in Progress or Suspicious Activities
What is suspicious activity? Trust your instincts. They will probably tell you that something just does not look or feel right.
- Do not ignore suspicious behavior. Inform University Police of your concerns by calling their non-emergency number 419-372-2346.
- Always be alert and aware of your surroundings. Know who lives or works in your hallway and/or building.
- Take precautions when traveling, even on campus or while walking to your car.
- If you have to go somewhere along and after dark, call the Campus Escort Service at 419-372-8360.
- Be aware of the location of all emergency exits and emergency phones if outside on campus.
All crimes should be reported immediately to the police. For crimes occurring:
- BGSU main campus: 419-372-2346.
- City of Bowling Green: 419-352-2571.
- Firelands College Campus: during regular business hours, call 419-433-5560. In the area surrounding Firelands College and outside of regular business hours, call the Erie County Sheriff's Department at 419-625-7951
For BGSU Main Campus:
The University Department of Public Safety, 104 Commons, is accessible 24 hours a day to receive information or provide officer assistance. Criminal activity or emergencies (fire or medical) may be reported by dialing 911 or 2-2346 from any University phone. There are currently 30 blue emergency phones located throughout campus. Emergency phones ring directly into the campus police station.
Any criminal activity taking place off campus, in the city of Bowling Green, can be reported 24 hours a day to City of Bowling Green Police, located at 175 W. Wooster Street, 911 or 419-352-2571. Dialing 911 from any off-campus phone will put you in contact with a Wood County 911 dispatcher. Incidents that occur outside of Bowling Green city limits, in Wood County, can be reported to the Wood County Sheriff's Department located at 1960 East Gypsy Lane Road, or phone 419-354-9137.
For BGSU Firelands College:
On and Off Campus
Firelands College is patrolled by the Erie County Sheriff's Department and Erie County Metropark rangers. On-campus criminal activity and emergencies may be reported by calling 911, which will connect you with the Erie County Sheriff's Department. During regular business hours, you may also call the Firelands College switchboard at 419-433-5560. The Firelands College switchboard is located in the East Building. Criminal activity and emergencies may also be reported to the Erie County Sheriff's Department by calling them directly at 419-625-7951.
When regularly scheduled classes are not in session or the buildings are officially closed, you can report any criminal activity via emergency telephones, which are clearly marked and located at the primary entrances to all buildings. The emergency telephones automatically dial the local "911" emergency number. When the emergency operator answers, inform him or her of the nature of the emergency, or hazardous situation, and the location.
- Reporting Crimes and Other Emergencies: http://www.bgsu.edu/offices/safety/page23090.html