BGSU Information Technology Policies
BGSU Social Networking Media Policy
|Applicability||All University Units||Effective Date||April 2011|
|Responsible Unit|| Information |
|Policy Administrator|| Office of the Chief |
|Last Revised||August 6, 2013|
Entity at BGSU that has ability to enforce sanctions upon a classification of an affiliated member of the BGSU community. Some examples include: Supervisors and Human Resources for staff members, Department Chair or Provost Office for faculty, Student Affairs for students.
Limited Use (data)
Data BGSU may release if it chooses to waive exceptions to the public records law and place conditions or limitations on such release. Notification of unauthorized access is not required to the victims or other outside entities. (Some examples include BGSU intellectual property, BGSU ID numbers, campus security details, internal memorandums, etc.)
Data release prohibited by federal laws, state laws, and/or contractual obligations. For data to be defined as restricted, notification of unauthorized access is required to the victims or other outside entities. (Some examples include, Social Security Numbers, student records, financial account data, driver’s license numbers, health records, etc.)
Social Networking Media
Internet based technologies that are typically very accessible and scalable allowing users to post content on topics in various forms. Some forms of social media include, wikis, blogs, podcasts, and forums. Some specific examples include, but are not limited to, Facebook, Twitter and Wikipedia.
Social Networking Media is a popular and powerful mechanism for timely communications to the entire world about news and events occurring at Bowling Green State University. It has also become common to integrate classroom instruction and assignments with these technologies. BGSU recognizes the use of social media by its faculty, staff and students to communicate factual information regarding the University. However, posting to social networking media on behalf of BGSU must adhere to this policy.
1. All usage of official BGSU social networking media is to be consistent with all relevant policies of BGSU. This includes, but is not limited to the following policies:
Users should also be aware of any additional policies created by colleges, departments, student organizations, etc.
2. All users of official BGSU social networking media must be aware of and comply with all Federal, State, local, and other applicable laws, contracts, regulations, and licenses. This includes, but is not limited to the following:
3. The creation of new official BGSU social media presence must be reviewed and approved prior to implementation by the Office of Marketing and Communications.
4. All users of official BGSU social networking media should follow the BGSU Social Networking Guidelines.
5. No BGSU data that is considered limited use or restricted should be posted to social networking media.
ENFORCEMENT AND SANCTIONS
Individuals or entities in violation of the BGSU Social Networking Media Policy will be referred to the appropriate disciplinary authority for review and action.