Academy of Distinguished Alumni
The Academy of Distinguished Alumni was created in 2011 by Bowling Green State University and its Alumni Association. The award is the highest honor bestowed by the University and was established to recognize the extraordinary accomplishments of alumni who have made significant contributions to their chosen professional field and/or through their community involvement. The University is proud to honor those alumni who have inspired their country, state, community and BGSU.
Recipient Selection Criteria
- Must have a degree from Bowling Green State University, or have completed more than 60 hours of coursework at BGSU.
- Must have attained a high level of professional accomplishments.
- Must have high standards of personal integrity and character.
- Voluntary service on a local, state, national or international level may strengthen the nomination and should be noted.
- Special honors or recognition may be submitted for consideration.
** Nominees may be submitted posthumously. Former recipients of any BGSU award and BGSU honorary degree holders are eligible to be nominated as well, with the exception of former Distinguished Alumni Award recipients. Those who previously received the award from the BGSU Alumni Association are automatically considered part of the academy.
The Selection Process and Induction
The selection is made from candidates who have distinguished themselves by obtaining the highest level of professional accomplishments and who possess the highest standards of integrity and character to positively reflect and enhance the prestige of Bowling Green State University.
- Individuals, staff, faculty, student alumni chapters, and constituent associations may make nominations. Nominations must be submitted using either the online or downloadable form. One additional letter of support should be included with the nomination form.
- Nomination forms may be submitted at any time; however they must be completed in their entirety and be received in the BGSU Alumni Association office by February 28, 2014.
- The President of Bowling Green State University, the BGSU Alumni Association Executive Director and the Vice President of University Advancement will decide the four award recipients.
Conferring of Award
- The President of Bowling Green State University will present the Distinguished Alumni Award to the recipients at the Academy of Distinguished Alumni Ceremony during Homecoming Week.
- The recipients must agree to be present for the presentation; the person(s) responsible for making the nomination will be invited to attend the presentation.
The BGSU Alumni Association annually seeks and accepts nominations of BGSU graduates for the Bowling Green State University Distinguished Alumni Award. The selection is made from candidates who have distinguished themselves by obtaining the highest level of professional accomplishments and who possess the highest standards of integrity and character to positively reflect and enhance the prestige of Bowling Green State University.
Nominations must be received in the BGSU Alumni Association office by February 28, 2014. To receive consideration as a nominee, the entire application must be completed. The form, in its entirety, must be submitted along with the following supporting documents:
- One additional letter of support
- Resume or curriculum vitae including accomplishments
Please submit all supporting documents to:
- Academy of Distinguished Alumni
BGSU Alumni Association
Mileti Alumni Center
Bowling Green, OH 43403
Thank you for your interest in the Alumni Association’s Award program. Should you have any questions, please contact Kim Jacobs of the Alumni Association office at (888) 839-2586.