BGSU Academic Advising
The First Ten Questions to Ask an Advisee
- What do you hope eventually to do with your life?
- Why did you choose to come to the University?
- What major or majors are you considering?
- Why are you considering those majors -- simply to prepare for a career?
- Do you really like that area of study?
- Do you think it will lead to a high paying job/prestigious job?
- Are there any special situations that we need to consider in planning your educational program? For example, do you have a job? Are you responsible for your family? Do you have a disability? Do you have military obligations?
- What questions do you have about:
- the University?
- your major?
- Where will you you be living? What kinds of outside activities do you like? (sports, music, theater, student government, literary)
- Are you aware of the resources available to you? (tutoring, counseling, career planning, study abroad, honors)
- What, if anything, worries you about your college career? Or do you have concerns about adjusting to the university?
- How can I as your adviser help you most?
- university policies
- career guidance
- problems -- personal, academic
Adapted from the article on the Penn State University website: