Peers Engaging & Achieving Knowledge
P.E.A.K. –Peers Engaging and Achieving Knowledge program connects first-year Pre-Major or undecided students with upper-class peer mentors from various majors and backgrounds who have demonstrated academic success.
Peer mentors provide great support and resource to help acclimate you to campus and find your niche as a BGSU Falcon. Get matched with a peer mentor who can help you navigate campus resources, campus life, activities and events as well as other campus opportunities. Each mentor and mentee pair arranges their own schedule of interactions within the program’s social and academic boundaries.
- You will be matched with a trained upperclassman excited to help you transition from high school to college.
- Your Peer Mentor can provide valuable information about campus resources, student organizations, and other first-year issues.
- You will develop friendships with other first-year Pre-Major Advising (PMA) students and upper-class peer mentors.
- You have the opportunity to win the "Mentee of the Year" award
- Must be a first-year student at BGSU
- Must be in Pre-Major Advising (undecided in major)
- Must complete the online application and electronically sign the mentee commitment form
- Attend the Opening Weekend PEAK Kick-Off Event in August
- Must stay in contact with your Peer Mentor on a weekly basic and spend a minimum of two hours face-time with your mentor each month
- Participate for the entire 2013-2014 academic year
- Complete a confidential program evaluation at the end of the academic year
Deadline to Apply: July 19, 2013
Applicants will be notified of their acceptance into the P.E.A.K. program in early August.
Make a difference. Become a Peer Mentor.
Adjusting to college life can be very challenging. That’s why the new P.E.A.K. program is so important … and that’s why we need your help. You have the experience and insights to help new students acclimate to campus life and get started on the road to long-term success.
Peer Mentors must be current BGSU students who have a strong desire to work with other students, and who:
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills
- Have completed a minimum of 30 program credits by the end of Spring 2013
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.75 at the end of Spring 2013
- Have been involved in a student organization and/or employed on campus
- Can provide at least one BGSU faculty or staff recommendation form
- Can commit to at least one year in this position (Fall 2013 and Spring 2014)
- Can maintain confidentiality
Once you join the P.E.A.K. team, you will be expected to:
- Communicate weekly with six-to-nine mentees
- Record and submit a weekly report to Advising Services
- Spend at least two hours per month with your assigned mentees (as a group or individually)
- Attend a monthly, one-hour workshop.
- Attend all required training and meetings (including training on Saturday, April 13 from 9:00am to 1:00pm; and a kickoff celebration on Sunday, August and additional monthly meetings to be determined)
- Provide timely and accurate information/support for students as an academic and campus resource
Peer Mentor Benefits
- Earn $400 per semester
- Develop leadership skills
- Opportunity to win the Mentor of the Year award
- Certificate of participation
- Personal satisfaction that comes from helping other students
If you have questions, feel free to email email@example.com.