FAQs and Details

As part of the academic advising component of Student Orientation, Advising and Registration, each student is required to attend an Academic Meeting. The Academic Meeting will provide information about BG Perspective general education requirements, highlight majors or areas of exploration within your college, and discuss general tools and tips to be successful in the classroom.

During this meeting, students will be assignedan academic advising appointment. During this appointment, held later in the afternoon of SOAR, students meet with their academic advisor and select classes for their first semester.

More information on academic advising


  • Students who have decided on a college/major prior to SOAR or have chosen undecided in a particular college should attend that college's meeting.
  • Students who have not decided on a college/major are part of Pre-Major and Academic Planning and will attend the Pre-Major and Academic Planning meeting.
  • Students admitted through the University Program for Academic Success (UPAS) are required to attend the UPAS Academic Meeting.

College Offices

Facilities used for SOAR are all barrier free.  Accessible parking is available in each parking lot on campus for persons who properly display a current state-issued disabled/handicapped plaque/card in accordance with Ohio Revised Code.

A wheel-chair is available upon request.  Other special accommodations for students or guests with disabilities, including interpreter services, will be provided upon request.  Please notify us of your need for accommodations at least two weeks prior to your arrival.  This can be done online as you place your SOAR reservation, by emailing orientation@bgsu.edu or by phoning (419) 372-0353.


BGSU students are required to obtain and carry an official University ID - the BG1 Card. This wallet-size card has many high-tech, exciting features that can help make life at BGSU a bit easier. The BG1 Card provides easy access to BGSU resources... and packs a wealth of innovative technologies into one powerful and convenient card!

After you complete your BGSU Account Registration and prior to SOAR, you have the ability to submit the photo you’d like used for your BG1 Card.  Once submitted and approved, your card will be ready and waiting for pickup during SOAR.  Make sure to bring an acceptable form of ID. Make sure to bring an acceptable form of ID.  Acceptable forms of ID include:

  • a valid state-issued driver's license with photo
  • State-issued photo ID card
  • Passport with photo
  • Military ID card

Here are some of the uses for the BG1 Card:

  • making purchases both on and off-campus with the BG Bucks account
  • accessing meal plan accounts
  • using as an ATM card when attached to a PNC Bank account
  • utilizing University Library services
  • earning points with loyalty programs such as Ziggy Points and Bookstore Points
  • entering the Student Recreation Center
  • tracking hours in departmental time keeping systems
  • taking an exam
  • purchasing tickets for and being admitted to University events
  • participating in intramural sports programs
  • requesting services at the Falcon Health Center

For more information, including how to deposit money onto your BG Bucks account and where those funds are accepted, visit the BG1 Card website or call them at (419) 372-4127. To learn how to make your BG1 card an ATM card visit the PNC website.


Books and other course materials may be purchased at the BGSU Bookstore in the Bowen-Thompson Student Union, at the BGSU Firelands Bookstore in Huron, Ohio, or ordered online through the Bookstore for home delivery or store pickup. Check out the Bookstore Website for more information.

The easiest way to order your books after registering for classes is to go to MyBGSU, pull up your class schedule, and click on the "Buy Books" button at the top of the page.  Make sure your pop-up blocker is turned off before you click the button.

BGSU offers advanced standing credit for successful performance on either the College Board Advanced Placement (AP) test or on selected subject examinations of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP).

Students who took AP courses and/or examinations in high school should bring their examination score reports to SOAR so they may be advised accordingly. Find out more.

Additional information on the AP examination program may be obtained by contacting the Office of Registration and Records, Room 110, Administration Bldg., (419) 372-7959.  Information on the CLEP option is available from Nontraditional and Transfer Student Services, 16 College Park Office Bldg., (419) 372-8136.

SOAR is planned for students, family members, and guests.  While students meet with other new students and attend sessions specific to their academic and social transition to BGSU, parents and family members will participate in sessions that are designed to address their unique needs.

Sessions for parents and family members include information on: 

  • Financial Aid
  • Bursar
  • Student Health information
  • Campus resources and services
  • Parent and family involvement in the BGSU experience
  • Academic opportunities and expectations
  • Changing relationships. 

Research has shown that college students will contact their families first in times of need.  BGSU recognizes that parent and family involvement can directly affect the academic and personal success of students.

Parent and Family Programs

On Facebook? Join the BGSU Parents' Facebook Fan page.

To receive financial assistance to help cover the costs to attend BGSU, students should submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA by BGSU's priority filing date of January 15th for consideration for the maximum amount of federal aid available. The Student Financial Aid (SFA) office will begin mailing Award Notifications to new students in the end of January. Students may also view "My Financial Aid Status" using their MyBGSU on-line account.

Students who will be using their Federal Direct Stafford Loan (Subsidized or Unsubsidized Student Loan) must also complete a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note and Entrance Loan Counseling session on-line at studentloans.gov.

If the amount of the financial aid offered on the student's Award Notification is not enough to cover all the students' costs, parents may obtain a loan in their name through the Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS.) The Federal PLUS Loan is a loan that a parent may choose to borrow on behalf of their student. Please note that the PLUS loan requires a separate application process in addition to the FAFSA. Parent borrowers should go to studentloans.gov to apply for a PLUS loan. Another option is that students may apply for a private/alternative educational loan in their name through a lender of their choice. See the Student Financial Aid (SFA) web page for more information.

Note: Federal Work-Study (FWS) funds are earned through on-campus employment and paid directly to students in the form of a paycheck. FWS funds are not subtracted from your Bursar eBill. See Student Employment Services for more information on employment opportunities available at BGSU.

SFA staff will be available during SOAR to discuss any final questions you may have. You may also contact the SFA office Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at (419) 372-2651 or online at ask SFA a question.


Highly Recommended Immunizations

The Falcon Health Center requests that all students keep their immunizations up to date.

  • Measles (Rubeola) – Must have 2 Measles immunizations or MMR injections, both after first birthday and at least 30 days apart.
  • Mumps immunization
  • Rubella immunization
  • Tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis
  • Completion of meningitis vaccination
  • Completion of Hepatitis B vaccination
  • TB screening required if signs or symptoms of active TB are present or student is a member of a high-risk group

Other Recommended Immunizations

  • Polio
  • Hepatitis A
  • Chickenpox (varicella) vaccine

Immunizations are available at the Falcon Health Center. The visit and immunization can be billed to the student’s insurance or paid by cash, BG1 Card, check, or credit card. A physical examination within the past 12 months is also recommended.

What does the Falcon Health Center require prior to treatment or immunizations?

  • Students must have a BGSU identification card.
  • A current medical insurance card must be presented at each visit. (The policy holder's date of birth is also required)
  • Co-pay at time of visit (determined by insurance provider)

Health Insurance

Domestic students:

I am a domestic student. Do I need health insurance?

  • YES, domestic students registered at BGSU for 8 or more credit hours on main campus are required to have health insurance.

What if I already have health insurance?

  • If you are currently covered under a health insurance plan that meets BGSU minimum requirements, you may opt out (waive) the BGSU Student Health Insurance.

How do I complete the requirement?

  • To complete your insurance waiver or enrollment, log into your MyBGSU account and select “Student Insurance Requirement” on the “Financial” tab under “Students.”
  • Read the two paragraphs at the top of the page and then choose the “Waive” or “Enroll” button and follow the prompts.

When will I be able to complete the health insurance waiver or enrollment online?

  • 24-48 hours after you register for classes you will be able to access the “Student Insurance Requirement” link through your MyBGSU web portal. However, if you are under 18 years old, please email studentins@bgsu.edu to request a paper waiver.

How often do I need to complete this requirement?

  •  You will need to complete this requirement once each academic year.

What if I have additional questions?

  • You may call the Student Insurance Office at 419-372-7495, access our website or visit our office located in the Falcon Health Center at 838 E Wooster St in Suite 202.

International students:

I am an international student. Do I need health insurance?

  • YES, all international students regardless of credit hours are required by the University to enroll in the BGSU sponsored student health insurance plan.

Are there any exceptions?

  • YES, international students with approved coverage provided by their government embassy, or approved coverage by a U.S.-based employer may opt out (waive) the BGSU Student Health Insurance. 
  • Students who have coverage through approved policies need to contact the Student Insurance Office to submit their health insurance card, BGSU student ID and health insurance policy information (in English) to complete a waiver. 

How do I complete the requirement?

  • To waive or enroll: Visit the Student Insurance Office in the Falcon Health Center at 838 E Wooster St in Suite 202.
  • To enroll online: Log into your MyBGSU account and select “Student Insurance Requirement” on the “Financial” tab under “Students.”
  • Read the two paragraphs at the top of the page and then choose the “Enroll” button and follow the prompts.
  • OR, email studentins@bgsu.edu to request a waiver or enrollment form.

How often do I need to complete this requirement?

  • You will need to complete this requirement once each academic year.

What if I have additional questions?

  • You may call the Student Insurance Office at 419-372-7495, access our website, or visit our office located in the Falcon Health Center at 838 East Wooster in Suite 202.


In short, BGSU requires that students fulfill their financial obligations to the University prior to the beginning of each semester in which they enroll.  Failure to do so will result in loss of course schedules and housing assignments.  Payment dates vary from semester to semester, please visit the Payment Policy website for specific details.

College Credit Plus Program

SOAR is required for students who participated in the College Credit Plus program (formally PESOP or Post-Secondary Enrollment Option) while in high school (even if you took courses through BGSU) , Students should arrange to have an official copy of their college transcript sent to the BGSU Office of Admissions if they took courses at institutions other than BGSU. Please also bring an official copy of this transcript to SOAR so an adviser can help determine how your previous courses will fit into a degree program.

Office of Admissions
110 McFall Center
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH 43403-0085


Students who participated in the College Credit Plus should direct any questions about academic requirements to their college office.

Housing sign-up for new admitted students is available online September 30, 2016 - July 31, 2017. Before starting the housing selection process, you will need to:

  • Be admitted to BGSU
  • Activate your BGSU email and MyBGSU account

To submit your housing selection for the 2015-16 academic year, follow these steps:

  • Log in to your MyBGSU Web portal
  • Click on the "Students" tab and then "My Room and Meals" 
  • Follow the onscreen steps to make the initial housing payment and complete the first few steps of the room selection process.

For specific instructions and to learn more about the process, please visit our Applying for Housing webpage.  

Residence hall rooms typically house two students and are furnished with two of the following: beds with mattresses, study desks and chairs, bookshelves, dressers, closets/wardrobes, and wastebaskets. They also come with carpet, window coverings, an optional telephone line (students must opt-in to this service for a fee), two Ethernet connections for internet access and cable TV. All of our residence halls also have 100% wireless internet access as well as computer labs.

Please contact the Office of Residence Life for questions. You can also visit the Office of Residence Life webpages for details of what to bring, optional items, and what to leave at home.

Residential Learning/Theme Communities

BGSU, in conjunction with academic departments, offer smaller, academic based living-learning communities within the residence halls for students to share interests and achieve common goals. To learn more about Learning and Theme Communities or to enroll, visit the Learning Communities page. Below is a listing of the Residential Learning/Theme Communities at BGSU:

  • Army ROTC
  • AIMS
  • Army ROTC
  • Arts Village
  • Aviation
  • Batchelder Music Community
  • BGreen Sustainability
  • Business District
  • Chapman Community
  • Construction Management
  • Educators in Context and Community (ECCO)
  • Education & Human Development Community
  • Global Village 
  • Honors Learning Community
  • La Comunidad
  • La Maison Française
  • Natural Health Sciences Residential Community

BGSU connects students with a variety of employment options. More than 4,500 students choose to work on campus annually. Many others work in local communities or return to a job at home during break periods. Whether you choose campus or community employment, Student Employment Services staff can assist you in finding a job that fits your schedule, interests, skill level, and prepares you for the world of work after graduation.


Please note that there are Federal Work Study (a source of Financial Aid), Regular (non-Federal Work Study), and off-campus jobs available. Once you are offered a job, you must provide specific documents so that you can be certified to work in compliance with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. Many forms of ID are allowed – please see the USCIS website for details. Most students provide either a valid passport (this satisfies all requirements) OR a photo ID (such as Driver’s License) PLUS social security card or an original (or certified) copy of your birth certificate.

Please note: International students must also obtain authorization to work from the International Student Services Office, provide their I-20 forms, and either a Social Security card or receipt verifying that they have applied for one.

If you are seeking part-time employment on-campus or in the Bowling Green community, you can access job vacancies via WorkNet, BGSU's web-based job database. WorkNet is found under "Misc. Services" in your MyBGSU web portal. After logging in for the first time, you will complete your user profile and then you can run searches based on your employment preferences. For details and additional information, refer to the WorkNet user guide online at Student Employment Services, stop by Student Employment Services on-campus in 318C Math Sciences, or call (419) 372-2356.

For additional information, contact Student Employment Services.

Payment of Tuition/Fees, Room & Meal Plan

During SOAR you may pay the balance of your tuition/fees, room, and meal plan bill while you are on campus. Staff from the Office of the Bursar will be available in the afternoon to discuss payment options.

Payment Deadlines

Spring Semester
Room, Meal Plan &Tuition/Fees due December 15

Fall Semester
Room, Meal Plan &Tuition/Fees due July 15

All tuition, fees, room, and meal plan charges must be paid in advance of the semester in which the student is enrolled. Students at Bowling Green State University may visit the Bursar's Office website for helpful information about charges, rates, and payment options, including the Installment Payment Plan (IPP).
Payment for tuition/fees, room, and meal plan may be made in person via cash, check and money order.  Credit card payments may be made online via my.bgsu.edu for students, via https://commerce.cashnet.com/bgsupay for parents or by phone 1-866-484-0436 (a convenience fee applies for credit and debt cards only). MasterCard, Visa, American Express, and Discover are accepted. ACH payments are also accepted from checking or savings accounts with no convenience fee.

All new students and transfer students who have not previously attended Bowling Green State University are required to attend the SOAR.

Post Secondary Students:
Students who have taken post-secondary classes are required to attend SOAR.

Adult Learners and Evening Students:
Evening students and Adult Learners are required to attend SOAR.

Distance Learning Students:
New students taking both online and on-campus course are required to attend SOAR. New students who are completing an online degree program are not required to attend SOAR. Please contact your college office for more information.

International Students:
International Students are required to attend International Orientation through the Center for International Programs . If you are unsure of your status, please contact the International Student Services at 419.372.2247

Undergraduate with Degree Students:
Students who have already completed a Bachelor's degree are not required to attend SOAR.

Students Readmitted to BGSU:
Students who have previously attended Bowling Green State University are not required to attend SOAR.