Music Theory Placement Exam and Study Guide
Theory Placement Test
Students will take a Music Theory Placement Exam at the time of their entrance audition. The exam is given to determine placement regarding the appropriate theory class for the student’s level of knowledge. It is not considered when evaluating the student for entrance to the College of Musical Arts as a music major or minor. The written music theory test will cover music fundamentals, including note identification, basic clef reading and notation, scale and interval construction/recognition, and musical terms. A sample test and theory worksheets are available in PDF format.
Here is a list of suggested music fundamentals textbooks to assist with preparation for the written theory test. These are just a few of the many textbooks that cover music fundamentals. Choose one that works best for you.
- Elements of Music (second edition) by Joseph N. Straus. Published by Prentice Hall, 2008. ISBN 0-13-034341. To order call: (800) 223-1360
- Fundamentals of Music (fourth edition) by Earl Henry. Published by Prentice Hall, 2004. ISBN 0-13-061904-3 (with CD). ISBN 0-13-3372-88-X (text only). To order call: (800) 223-1360
- Musical Palette by Jamie Henke. Published by Atomic Dog, 2003. ISBN 1-59260-028-X. To order call online contact: www.atomicdogpublishing.com/
- Scales, Intervals, Keys, Triads, Rhythm, and Meter (third edition) by John Clough and Joyce Conley. Published by W.W. Norton & Co., 1999. ISBN 0-393-95189-8. To order call: (800) 233-4830
Suggested theory fundamental course Web sites:
- Music Fundamentals by Michael Sult (www.guitarland.com/Music10/MusFund/toc.htm)
- MusicTheory.Net by Ricci Adams (www.musictheory.net)
- Teoría by José Rodríguez Alvira (www.teoria.com)
- Virtual Music Class Room by Ray Barley
Music theory software available for purchase