Music Talent Awards
To be assured full consideration for a Music Talent Award, students must audition and have sent all University application materials to the Office of Admissions on or before February 28.
At Bowling Green State University, music scholarship are called Music Talent Awards. Music Talent Awards are fee waivers awarded in varying amounts to be applied towards tuition and/or on-campus housing and meals. Approximately 40 percent of the students approved in the College of Musical Arts will receive a Music Talent Award.
Music scholarships are awarded to incoming students to recognize musical achievement and potential. In addition to the audition, other criteria may be used in determining recipients of music scholarships such as GPA, test scores and music theory placement results.
Awards to incoming freshmen are renewable for four years. Awards to transfer students majoring in music are renewable up to a total of four academic years, counting full-time study at both the previous institution(s) and BGSU.
Music Talent Awards will be mailed to recipients the last week of March so notification is received by April 1.
The following conditions for retention of Music Talent Awards must be attained each semester:
- Devote the necessary time to give superior performance (minimum grade of “B”) each semester in an ensemble, the choice to be made cooperatively by the student and their major teacher in conjunction with the ensemble directors and the Associate Dean of the College of Musical Arts
- Register for and complete at least 12 credit hours each semester
- Maintain a minimum of 3.00 overall GPA
- Achieve a minimum grade of “B” in applied instruction for a minimum of two credit hours.
Any deviation from the above requirements must be approved by the Dean of the College of Musical Arts; otherwise, remaining award moneys will be forfeited. Questions about Music Talent Awards should be referred to the Associate Dean of the College.
Additional Music Scholarships for Incoming Freshmen
- Annual Organ Competition: One $4,000 award (divided over a four-year period) annually to an incoming freshman upon winning jury-judged competition.
- The Mark S. Kelly University Band Award: Awarded annually to an incoming freshman who plans to major in music on a woodwind, brass or percussion instrument. Additional information will be available at your audition.