Falcon Success Initiative
In an effort to improve the social integration,
retention and academic success, the Office of Multicultural Affairs
(OMA) has developed the Falcon Success Initiative designed to
support students. The Falcon Success Initiative (FSI) is designed to
improve the social integration, persistence, retention, and
engagement of diverse student populations. This program is designed
for first-year students. Students are assigned an Office of
Multicultural Affairs (OMA) staff person or graduate intern to work
with during their first year. Students meet with their assigned OMA
staff person 6 times per year, three Fall semster and three Spring
semester, to discuss their academic, social engagement, transition
issues, and other topics tailored to meet individualized student
needs. Students participating in FSI are also required to attend 6
cohort meetings annually. Cohort meetings may include other programs
sponsored by the Office of Multicultural Affairs, such as the
Dialogue Series, heritage month program, etc. that may support
students success. The FSI cohort meetings are opportunities for
diverse students to build relationships, work ondiverse teams, get
connected with campus and community resources and engage in
What is required?
While participation in the program is voluntary, if you agree to participate in this initiative, you will be asked to commit to the following:
- Three 1:1 meetings with a Multicultural Affairs staff member
(Includes an Initial meeting, mid-term check-up and end of semester
- More meetings can be scheduled as needed
- Monitoring of Academic Progress through bi-weekly follow-ups
- Attend a Falcon Success Community meetings (at least two per semester)
What are the benefits?
- Opportunity to talk 1:1 with a Multicultural Affairs staff member about your needs and concerns
- Priority access to resources available through the Learning Commons, and including access to an Academic Coach
- Resources through designated study space within the Office of Multicultural Affairs area as well Academic Support Workshops in partnership with other departments
- Holistic advising support for your academic success strategies and campus engagements
IMPORTANT: Falcon Success is a requirement for all NEW recipients of the University Tuition Scholarship for Underrepresented Students. An Office of Multicultural Affairs staff member will contact you at the beginning of Fall Semester. Returning Tuition Scholarship recipients may contineu to participate in the program.
The OMA Falcon Success Initiative is designed to help you achieve your specific academic success, persistence, goal setting, social integration and graduation plans.
How do I participate (sign-up)?
If you are interested for Fall 2016, please contact 419-372-2642