Transferring Graduate Credits

Did you know you can transfer credit hours into a graduate program at BGSU?

Transfer of External Graduate Credit Policy

Students who have been fully admitted into a graduate degree program or graduate certificate program, and have satisfactorily completed eight hours of graduate work at Bowling Green State University may petition to transfer up to nine graduate credit hours from another regionally accredited graduate school. An official transcript must be received by the Graduate College before credit can be approved for transfer. Credit may be transferred only for courses in which the student received the grades of A or B (or the equivalent for courses not graded, as determined by the graduate coordinator). Credit for an S grade may be transferred only if the grade is regarded by the grading school as B or better. Courses taken for “professional development” cannot be transferred for graduate credit.

Transfer Process

The transfer of credit received for such external courses to satisfy requirements of a degree program at BGSU depends upon the following:

  1. A formal, written petition by the student is required for the transfer of credit. The petition is submitted to the student’s academic program for its consideration and recommendation. The recommendation of the department is forwarded to the dean designate of the Graduate College for a decision via a (TDP), a TDP addendum, or an exception to the (DARS).
  2. Documentation is required for courses that are “external” or “nonresident” offerings of another university. The course must be listed and described in the catalog offerings or other official publications of the institution. The content of the course must satisfy a requirement in a graduate degree program at the offering institution and be able to satisfy a degree requirement at BGSU. An official transcript is required at BGSU.
  3. Petitions for acceptance of “summer tour” or “travel” type courses must be fully documented so that their academic integrity can be judged. Minimal documentation submitted by the student should include the following:
    • A photocopy of the course description from the graduate catalog or other official literature of the sponsoring institution;
    • A statement in the institution’s graduate catalog or signed by the dean designate of the graduate school that specifies the graduate degree programs in which the course satisfies degree requirements in the institution offering the course. A viable alternative is a copy of an evaluative statement concerning the course from the department(s) in which it is used to satisfy graduate degree credit;
    • An official transcript from the sponsoring institution following completion of the course. Transcripts “ISSUED TO STUDENT” will not be accepted.
  4. It is necessary for a student to petition, in writing, through the academic department for such transfer after the course has been completed. Prior guarantees of any type that a course will be transferable cannot be given. Any prior assurances given by faculty members or staff of Bowling Green State University must be regarded as estimates or opinions. They do not commit the University to a course of action.
Restrictions on Transfer or Approval of Credit
  • Transfer of credit is not appropriate for graduate, non-degree students; by definition, they have no graduate degree program toward which credit is to be transferred. If a graduate non-degree student later becomes admitted to a graduate degree program, transfer of credit can be requested in consultation with the graduate coordinator of the program.
  • Conditionally or provisionally admitted students must achieve regular status before petitioning for transfer of credit.
  • Final approval for transferred credit is granted only by the graduate dean designate.
  • The time limits for completion of a master’s degree, a specialist degree and certificate program (six years), and for a doctoral degree (eight years) apply also to transfer credit. That is, all credits within a master’s and specialist program must fall within the six-year period dating from the end of the earliest course used to fulfill degree requirements on the Tentative Degree Program or Degree Audit; similarly, all credits within a doctoral program must fall within the eight-year period.
  •  Once approved, the credits and not the grades are transferred into the student’s degree program (and therefore do not count toward the GPA).
  • Courses that have already been applied in whole or in part in any way toward any other degree or certificate from another university may not be transferred.
  • One course, up to a maximum of 4 semester hours of post baccalaureate credit may be transferred into a graduate certificate.
  • A maximum of 9 semester hours of post-baccalaureate credit may be transferred into a master's program subject to approval of the program and the Graduate College.
  • A maximum of 9 semester hours of post-master's credit may be transferred into a doctoral program subject to approval of the program and the Graduate College. This is in addition to the 30 hours that transfer from a master's program.