Graduate Catalog 2004-2005
University Vision and Values
Bowling Green State University aspires to be the premier learning community in Ohio, and one of the best in the nation. Through the interdependence of teaching, learning, scholarship and service we will create an environment grounded in intellectual discovery and guided by rational discourse and civility. Bowling Green State University serves the diverse and multicultural communities of Ohio, the United States and the world, supported by:
- An extensive portfolio of distinctive undergraduate programs, focused master's and specialist degrees and a select number of nationally recognized doctoral programs;
- Scholarly and creative endeavors of the highest order;
- Academically challenging teaching, fully connected with research and public service;
- Innovative academic planning that focuses on society's changing needs, student outcomes and the appropriate integration of technology;
- An educational environment that develops culturally literate, self-assured, technologically sophisticated, productive citizens who are prepared to lead, to inspire and to preserve the great traditions of our democracy.
- Respect for one another
- Intellectual and spiritual growth
- Creative imaginings
- Pride in a job well done
Bowling Green State University is dedicated to providing quality academic programs in a learning environment that promotes academic and personal excellence in students, as well as appreciation of intellectual, ethical and aesthetic values. Wisdom, sound judgment, tolerance and respect for other persons, cultures and ideas are the hallmarks of an educated person and the characteristics that the University hopes to develop in its students.
The extent to which these goals are met depends upon the intellectual and cultural environment of the University, the wisdom and dedication of its faculty, and the intellectual curiosity, ability and energy of its students. To achieve this end the University strives to attract the most qualified students and faculty committed to the goals of quality education, productive research and scholarly achievement.
In addition to its degree programs, the University offers diverse opportunities for educational and cultural enrichment to the people of the area through its regional and continuing education programs, as well as through the intellectual and cultural activities that are an integral part of campus life.