STEPS TO A SUCCESSFUL INTERNATIONAL INTERNSHIP EXPERIENCE
- Research your options: Visit the Education Abroad office in 202C University Hall and the Career Center in the Math Science building (3rd floor).
- Meet with an advisor – or two, or three! It’s a good idea to meet with the education abroad advisor as well as an advisor in the co-op/internship office. These are friendly people who have years of experience advising students on internships and international opportunities. Call the Education Abroad office at 419-372-0479 or the Career Center at 419-372-2451 to schedule an appointment. Also, don’t forget about your academic advisors – make sure to keep them in the loop!
- Pursue your internship abroad.
If you will be completing an internship through a university-sponsored program, complete your Application Packet which includes your program application, transcript request form, references, and application fee. Once your packet is complete, the Education Abroad Office will send your application materials to the program of your choice.
If you will be pursuing an internship independently, register with the Co-op & Internship Office and attend a 'Workplace Success: Preparing to Start Internship or Co-op Assignments' session. You may also arrange to meet with a career consultant who can help you make contacts and uncover some possible job leads.
- Once you have arranged your international internship, register it with the Co-op & Internship Office in 318 Saddlemire Student Services at Conklin. This way your internship will appear on your transcript and you will be able to keep your status as a BGSU student while working abroad.
- If your department or college will be granting credit for your internship, you will be enrolled in an independent study or a predetermined internship class for the duration of the work experience. Make sure that any necessary paperwork for your college is complete. Check with your college office or academic advisor if unsure.
- Contractual Agreement Form (PDF) - If you will be receiving academic credit for your internship from an institution other than BGSU, you may be eligible to use your existing financial aid. This form will need to be completed and returned to Financial Aid. Your academic advisor must sign to verify that you will be receiving credit while not attending BGSU. The university sponsor will also complete a section of this form.
- Application for Readmission (PDF) – after you have been accepted into your international internship program, you must complete this form and return it to Registration and Records so that you will be readmitted to BGSU after your time abroad.
- Passport Copy - submit a copy of the photo page of your passport to the Education Abroad office prior to your departure.
- Student Consent, Medical Authorization and Release Form (PDF) – must be completed and returned to Education Abroad in 202C University Hall before you depart.
- International Student Identity Card – for insurance purposes, BGSU requires all students who go abroad for credit to purchase an ISIC card. Visit the Education Abroad office.
- Pre-Departure Orientation – obtain valuable information concerning life abroad and get advice and helpful tips from education abroad returnees.
- HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!