Choose a program for a description and contact information.
Brazil - Rio de Janeiro
If you are independent with a keen desire to experience a different culture, completing a student teaching internship in Rio de Janeiro is for you. Rio de Janeiro is a large cosmopolitan city of 10 million people and a melting pot of lifestyles, culture, religions, and ethnic backgrounds.
Our Lady of Mercy School, located in the Botafogo section of Rio de Janiero, welcomes Bowling Green State University student teaching interns in elementary and secondary classrooms. OLM is a private, bilingual, Catholic school. The majority of the student population is made up of Brazilians. Although the native language is Portuguese, classes are taught in English.
Travel and Costs
- Student teaching interns must provide round-trip transportation to New York City. Our Lady of Mercy provides round-trip airfare from NYC to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Our Lady of Mercy will provide housing accommodations for the student teaching interns. Typically, accommodations have been in a two-bedroom apartment within walking distance to the school. All student teaching interns live together.
- Students are responsible for any extra costs incurred such as excursions, activities, and special events.
- Additional costs also include a current passport ($85) and a Brazilian visa ($170).
- Tuition and student teaching internship fees are paid to BGSU.
Up to four students will be selected to participate in the program each semester. Selection is based upon the completed application, GPA, recommendations, and an interview with the selection committee.
For application materials, contact:
Office of Research & Field Placement
455 Education Building
Bowling Green State University