Reading Endorsement

  • Information: 
    • This endorsement is for teachers who wish to add a PreK-12 reading endorsement to their Ohio educator license.
    • Program Prerequisition:
      • Current educator license
      • Completed Baccalaureate degree
      • Completion of 9-12 hours of reading instruction.  Online course work available for those who do not qualify due to 9-12 hour prerequisite.
    • The PreK-12 Reading Endorsement consists of 15 graduate credit hours. Usually, classes are offered online and face-to-face settings. During the summer, the reading endorsement classes are offered in an institute format. 
      • EDTL 6200: Content Literacy P-12
      • EDTL 6210: Literacy Theories & Applications
      • EDTL 6220: Classroom Literacy Assessment
      • EDTL 6260: Role of Phonics
      • EDTL 6280: Reading Endorsement Practicum 
    • To obtain the PreK-12 Reading Endorsement, candidates must pass the state-approved licensure exam.  See advisor for details.
  • To Obtain the Endorsement: 
    • Once course requirements are complete, candidates will need to submit the following to the EDHD Office of Accreditation and Licensure:
      • An Ohio Department of Education Licensure Application
      • Associated fees
      • An official transcript of final grades
      • An official score report confirming passage of the state-approved exam
For Program Information Contact:
Dr. Cindy Hendricks
574 Education Building
School of Teaching and Learning
Bowling Green, OH 43403
(419) 372-7341
For Registration Information Contact:
Wendy Vaughn 529 Education Building
School of Teaching and Learning
Bowling Green, OH 43403
(419) 372-7320

Frequently Asked Questions for Reading Endorsement:

What is the cost of tuition for endorsement classes?

  • Fees are set by the Board of Trustees at Bowling Green State University.   The most recent fee information can be found HERE.

Can I get Financial Aid?

  • No matter where you apply in Ohio and beyond, there is no financial aid available for endorsement programs because they are not considered to be degree programs.  Financial Aid requires that you work toward a degree program. Many students apply for the M.Ed. in Reading program and then they are able to take the 5 endorsement courses with funding.  Students would then have an additional 5 years (approximately) to complete the courses for the M.Ed. in Reading.  So, rather than consider only the PreK-12 Reading endorsement at this time, think long-term and enroll in the M.Ed. program so you have funding for the endorsement courses and are guaranteed the endorsement courses will be credited to the M.Ed. program.  

I took courses as an undergraduate. Do they count?

  • BGSU is not authorized to accept undergraduate courses for graduate credit.  However, current regulations allow for an undergraduate course to count in endorsement program.

I am an early childhood major or a middle childhood major, so why do I need the endorsement?  

  • Early Childhood majors are licensed to teach reading in kindergarten through third grade.  Middle Childhood language arts majors are licensed to teach reading in grades four through nine.  The PreK-12 Reading Endorsement Certificate Program allows teachers to be able to teach reading from pre-kindergarten through grade 12.

How do I get the endorsement added to my teaching license?

  • To get the endorsement, complete the course work, and pass the state-approved licensure exam.  This paperwork, along with a completed application form from the ODE website, a transcript, and a certified check, is taken to the Licensure and Certification Office (Janet Hammersmith in 102 Education Building) who verifies test scores and course work. The documentation is then sent to the state.

How do I apply and register for endorsement course work?

  • Once you are admitted you are able to register for fall and spring courses yourself.  If you need assistance, please contact Wendy Vaughn at 419-372-7320 or wwalsto@bgsu.edu

How do I register for my courses?

  • You must be registered by School of Teaching and Learning for the endorsement courses.  Once you have submitted the proper paperwork and have met the criteria for registration, we will be able to register you for your courses.

Can I transfer courses?

  • Yes, but only 3 semester hours can be transferred.  Additionally, BGSU must have a course equivalent in it's program of study.