Middle Childhood Generalist Endorsement

The Middle Childhood Generalist Endorsement is available to undergraduates majoring in Middle Childhood education and to practicing teachers holding an Ohio Middle Childhood Education license. This endorsement allows teachers to add one or two academic areas to their licenses, enabling them to teach the added subjects in grades 4-6.
  • Endorsement classes may be taken at the undergraduate or graduate level.
  • The state of Ohio requires six credit hours of coursework in each subject area in which you desire to be endorsed. Note that in order to be a viable candidate for the middle childhood endorsement at BGSU, you must have an Ohio Middle Childhood Teaching license and a 2.8 cumulative GPA in your undergraduate coursework (transcript required) and maintain at least a 2.8 in your endorsement coursework.
  • Undergraduate courses are offered on a variable schedule throughout the academic year. Graduate classes are offered primarily in the summer, though a few are offered online in the spring.
    • Candidates take courses in one or two subject areas in which they are not currently licensed. For example, a math/science major might take language arts and/or social studies courses. 
  • After completion of the required course work, candidates for the Middle Childhood Generalist Endorsement must pass the Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) Exam(s) in the applicable areas. Candidates must also maintain a 2.8 GPA in their endorsement classes.
    * Note that all endorsement applicants may take the OAE subtests (018/019) in lieu of middle school subject area exams.

Summer 2014 Online Graduate Courses:

Language Arts
EDTL 5503: Upper Elementary Language Arts (May 19-June 8)
EDTL 6400: Advanced Literacy & Language Arts (June 9-July 7)

EDTL 5501: Upper Elementary Math (May 19-June 8)
EDTL 6410: Advanced Methods in Elementary Math (July 1-August 8)   
EDTL 5502: Upper Elementary Science (June 9-June 30)
EDTL 6420: Advanced Methods in Elementary Science (May 19-June 27)  
Social Studies
EDTL 5500: Teaching Ohio and the Americas (June 9-June 30)
EDTL 6430: Advanced Methods in Intermediate Grades Social Studies (July 1-August 8) 
REGISTER TODAY!                      

Summer 2014 Online Undergraduate Courses

EDTL 4500 Teaching Ohio and the Americas (June 9-June 30) 

EDTL 4501: Upper Elementary Math (May 19-June 8)

EDTL 4502: Upper Elementary Science (June 9-June 30)

EDTL 4503: Upper Elementary Language Arts (May 19-June 8)


What Should I Do After I Complete My Summer Coursework?

Upon satisfactory completion of endorsement coursework with a 2.8 GPA, students should submit the following to:

Janet Hammersmith
Office of Student & Academic Services
102 Education Building
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH 43403

• An Ohio Department of Education Licensure Application
• Fees associated with the ODE Licensure Application
• An official transcript of final grades
• An official score report confirming passage of the Ohio Assessments for Educators

The program coordinator will verify compliance. The licensure officer will finalize paperwork and submit it to the Ohio Department of Education for review.

Licensure Examinations

Once your coursework is finished, you must also pass an examination demonstrating your knowledge in the
endorsed subject areas.

Students seeking the Middle Childhood Generalist Endorsement will be required to take the OAE (Ohio Assessments for Educators) exams issued by Pearson Education:

Options: You may take two elementary subtests, or the relevant content-specific subject area test(s):
Test Code Test Name
018 Elementary Education (Subtest I)
019 Elementary Education (Subtest II)
Take one content-specific exam for each endorsement subject area:
028 Middle School English Language Arts
029 Middle School Science
030 Middle School Mathematics
031 Middle School Social Studies

Note: The content-specific exams are the same tests that middle childhood majors with concentrations (20-plus credit hours) in those subject areas take. Therefore, we recommend taking the two elementary subtests instead. For a list of exams, visit
www.oh.nesinc.com/Content/Docs/ OAEWhatAssessmentsDoINeedtoTake.pdf.


Dr. Nancy Fordham
529 Education Building
School of Teaching and Learning
Bowling Green, OH 43403

Frequently asked Questions:

  • What are the state’s requirements for the Middle Childhood Generalist Endorsement?
    • Candidates at the undergraduate level must be pursuing a degree in Middle Childhood Education.
    • Candidates at the Graduate level must have an Ohio teaching license in Middle Childhood Education. No other licenses qualify.
    • A minimum of 6 hours of course work must be taken in the added subject area(s). Courses must address standards/content taught in grades 4-6, as well as developmentally appropriate pedagogy.
    • Passage of the OAE Elementary subtest exams (018/019).
    • Does BGSU have any additional requirements?
      • Yes, we require a 2.8 cumulative GPA to enroll in endorsement classes, as well as a 2.8 GPA in completed endorsement course work.
      • You must take endorsement classes in addition to any general education classes in the subject(s) you wish to add to your license.
      • Note that our undergraduate social studies endorsement stipulates three social studies classes (nine credit hours). The graduate endorsement requires only two classes (six hours.)
    • Do I have to be endorsed in two subject areas?  (No.)  Can I add just one subject area? (Yes.)
    • What OAE exams are required for the Middle Childhood Generalist Endorsement?
      • The OAE Elementary Education subtest exams, #018 and  #019 are required.
        • Note that these exams cover the four core subject areas (math, science, social studies, and language arts) taught at the elementary school level.
        • Register on the Pearson Education website.
    • Do I have to be a graduate of BGSU to take endorsement classes at the graduate level? (No.)
    • When are endorsement classes offered at BGSU?
      • Endorsement classes are offered both in the spring and summer semesters, according to the general format below. (No endorsement courses are offered in the fall.)
        • Spring semester: The first of the two courses required for each subject area is offered online.
        • Summer: All endorsement classes are offered online, with some also offered face-to-face. These courses are intense, since they are shortened to permit candidates to complete endorsement course work in a single summer.
    • Can I count my general education course work toward endorsement requirements?
      • No. Our goal is to prepare you as well as possible for teaching these additional subjects to your students.  General education courses do not address content targeted specifically at the intermediate grades, nor do they address pedagogy. Therefore, they do not meet state endorsement requirements.
    • As a BGSU senior, am I able to take graduate-level endorsement classes?
      • Yes, under these conditions:
        • You must have accumulated a minimum of 90 credit hours, have satisfactorily completed your methods bock course work, and have a cumulative GPA of 3.0.
        • You must apply to the Graduate College for admission as an “advanced undergraduate.”
          • Only courses at the 5000 or 6000 levels will be considered.
      • You must have the course instructor’s permission to enroll in his/her class, as well as the permission of the Director of the School of Teaching and Learning.
    • As a graduate student, can I take endorsement classes at the undergraduate level?
      • Yes. You would apply for “Undergraduate Guest Status” and pay undergrad fees.
      • Realize, however, that these classes may not count toward a Masters degree later, should you choose to pursue one.
      • Also, not all undergraduate courses are offered on a predictable schedule each semester.
    • What is the cost of tuition for endorsement classes?  
      • Tuition changes yearly.  See the link to the Bursar’s Office for current tuition information.
      • Please note that financial aid is typically not available for endorsement course work.  A person must be enrolled in a degree-granting program to receive financial aid.
    • When are class schedules posted for spring and summer?
      • At about the mid-point of the previous semester:  
        • Spring’s course scheduled is posted in October.
        • Summer’s course schedule is posted in February.
      • Please ensure that you are searching for “Distance Learning” courses to see the online courses being offered.
    • How do I register for my courses?
      • You must be registered by the department for the Endorsement courses.  Once you have submitted the proper paperwork and have met the criteria for registration, we will be able to register you for your courses.
    • Once I’ve met all requirements, how do I go about processing my application for licensure?
      • Contact Janet Hammersmith in BGSU’s Office of Student & Academic Services, 102 Education: jhammer@bgsu.edu, or  419-372-7289. She will confirm that you’ve met all requirements and will send the necessary forms to the state.
      • Forms needed:
        • A completed licensure application
        • Associated fees
        • An official transcript of final grades
        • An official OAE Score Report confirming passage of the appropriate exams.

For further information about BGSU’s Middle Childhood Generalist Endorsement, contact:

  • Dr. Nancy Fordham, Program Coordinator, nfordha@bgsu.edu or 419-372-9819, or
  • Wendy Vaughn, Department Secretary, at wwalsto@bgsu.edu or 419-372-7320.