Bowling Green State University's Sport Management program is one of the largest and most diversified sport management programs in North America, with successful alumni in areas such as sport licensing, sport marketing and sport business. Located just 30 miles south of Toledo in Northwest Ohio, BGSU is one of only a few univeristies in Ohio that holds accreditation from the Commission of Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA) for both the undergraduate and graduate sport management and sport administration programs. Our programs have an excellent national and international reputation for producing successful professionals in the sport industry.
The mission of the Sport Management Program at BGSU is to have an impact on the management of sport enterprises by initiating intellectual discussion, innovating curriculum and researching topics concerning the area of sport management. This involves providing students with appropriate coursework and field experiences, assisting students in acquiring high levels of competence, encouraging volunteerism, emphasizing diversity, promoting intellectual inquiry and developing sound professional ethics.
sport management education outcomes
Upon completion of the baccalaureate degree, students in sport management are expected to:
- Explain that sport is a microcosm of society and is influenced by cultural traditions, social values, and psycho-social experiences;
- Explain the concepts of management and leadership and describe the various skills, roles, and functions of sport managers;
- Identify and explain moral issues related to sport in its intrinsic and extrinsic dimensions;
- Apply fundamental marketing concepts to the sport industry and understand sport as a product, and those unique aspects of the sport consumer and product markets;
- Apply and evaluate principles of interpersonal communication, mass communications, public relations, and interaction with the public, particularly related to sport agencies;
- Explain why budget and finance is a critical component of all sport-related industries and evaluate economic principles related to sport's fit in the national economy;
- Explain the legal concepts within the sport workplace and
evaluate the role of sport governance agencies, including their
authority, organizational structure, and functions.
Programs, students, employers, and the general public all benefit from the external verification of quality provided through COSMA's accreditation process. They also benefit from the process of continuous quality improvement that is encouraged by COSMA's developmental approach to promoting excellence in sport management education.
Additional information about COSMA can be found at http://www.cosmaweb.org/