Applying for Graduate Study in HMSLS
- Fall admission: February 1
- Spring admission: November 15
- Summer admission: April 1
*Applications for admission are accepted year-round. Materials submitted by the deadline will receive priority in the admission and funding process. Students whose credentials are received after this date will be considered on a space-available basis.
Admission and Assistantship Prerequisites
- A degree from an accredited undergraduate college/university
- An undergraduate overall grade point average of 2.7 for admission
- An undergraduate overall grade point average of 3.0 for a Graduate Assistantship
- International Students: For additional requirements, see the International Student Services Graduate Admission website (/content/bgsu/en/international-student-services/admissions/graduate.html)
Submit to HMSLS (can be e-mailed to Dr. Vikki Krane at firstname.lastname@example.org):
1. School of HMSLS Application to the Master's Program
2. Personal Statement
- 2-3 pages reflecting your educational and career goals
- Include the program you wish enter (Leisure &Tourism, Kinesiology, or Sport Administration)
- If you want to focus your studies in a specific specialization within a program (e.g., marketing, sport psychology, exercise physiology, tourism, etc.), include that information
- If there is a specific person you would like to study with, name that person as a potential advisor
4. Three letters of recommendation
- Graduate Student Recommendation Form
- Recommenders should send the completed recommendation form and letter (optional) to the HMSLS graduate coordinator (email@example.com)
- Letters should not be sent by the applicant
- Recommendations should attest to your academic accomplishments as an undergraduate student and predict your potential as a graduate student
- Recommendations from past or current professors are preferred
- Avoid requesting recommendations from coaches, athletic trainers, employers, or other individuals unless they can directly assess your potential as a graduate student
5. Graduate Assistantship Application
- If you wish to apply for a graduate assistanship, please complete this application.
*Note: all HMSLS application materials can be e-mailed as attachments to Dr. Vikki Krane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit to Graduate College:
1. Graduate College On-Line Application
- Fill out the application here.
2. Two Official Transcripts from all universities you have attended
3. Graduate Record Exam (GRE) Scores
- For Sport Administration students, GMAT scores may be submitted as an alternative to GRE scores
- For more information about the GRE, visit http://www.ets.org/gre
Review of Applications
- Upon receipt of all required application documents, the graduate faculty in your area of specialization will evaluate your credentials for admission and funding.
- Students are admitted when a graduate faculty member selects you as an advisee.
- Applications received by February 1st of the year of admission will be given priority in the admission and funding process.
- Students whose credentials are received after this date will be considered on a space-available basis.
- Graduate student admission is typically completed in late February.
- Graduate assistantships are usually awarded by the end of March.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Dr. Krane at email@example.com