Financial Aid FAQ

Enrollment in a program of study abroad approved for credit by the institution may be considered enrollment in the institution for purposes of applying for Title IV aid. If you are an eligible student and enroll in a Bowling Green State University sponsored study abroad program full time, you will be able to retain all Title IV federal financial aid and most state and institutional financial aid.

Bowling Green State University offers several types of study abroad programs:

  • BGSU-sponsored Study Abroad and Exchange programs
  • Ohio International Consortium (OIC)
  • Third Party Affiliate Provider programs

To be considered for financial aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This is your application for federal and state grants and federal loans, and it must be completed every year. The federal government processes the FAFSA and the results are sent to Bowling Green State University. The FAFSA can be filed on-line at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Once BGSU receives your information a financial aid award letter will be either mailed to you or sent to your MYBGSU account, explaining what types of financial aid you are eligible to receive.

Students can use Bowling Green State University scholarships that are awarded by the Student Financial Aid Office or the Admissions Office for Bowling Green State University or Ohio International Consortium sponsored study abroad programs, provided you are enrolled full time. This does not include room, board, or book scholarships, which are specific to the Bowling Green campus. A student studying abroad through another Ohio, U.S. school, Third Party Affiliate Provider program or by direct enrollment at a foreign institution cannot use a Bowling Green State University scholarship at the visited school.

If your scholarship was awarded by an academic department, please contact that office to find out if you can use your scholarship.

If you are participating in a program offered through another university, you will be considered a Guest Student at that institution and you must complete the student section of the Consortium Agreement and submit it to the Student Financial Office along with all required paperwork. Students can download a copy of the Consortium Agreement form from the Student Financial Aid web site . If you will be attending through a Third Party Provider you will need to complete the Contractual Agreement which is available through the Study Abroad Office. This form will need to be completed before any financial aid is released to the Office of the Bursar’s.

If you not a Bowling Green State University student but will be participating in one of our study abroad programs, you will be considered a Guest Student. You should contact the financial aid office at your “home” institution and initiate a Consortium Agreement there.

Contact the Student Financial Aid Office at least one full semester before beginning the study abroad program. This will assure that you have completed all the necessary paperwork needed in order for your financial aid to disburse to your Bursar’s account.

Study abroad students may be eligible for a budget adjustment, which would allow for additional expenses related to studying abroad to be included in their Cost of Attendance. Please note: budget adjustments do not change the student’s eligibility for federal or state grant programs, and it does not increase the amount a student can borrow in a federal loan program. Typically, a budget adjustment will only increase the amount of money a student can borrow in a private loan from a bank or a PLUS Loan (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students).

Most students should be able to submit a copy of their Financial Aid Award Letter as documentation of the financial aid they will be receiving.

Financial aid and scholarship funds cannot be released to the Bursar’s Office any sooner than 10 days before the start of the semester at Bowling Green State University or 10 days prior to the start of the study abroad program, provided the program starts after the semester begins at Bowling Green State University. Therefore, funds may not be available to you until after your departure. You are strongly encouraged to meet with the Bursar’s Office so that your refund check is mailed to you or to your parent’s home address (provided you completed a Power of Attorney Form). Otherwise, you may need to make arrangements with your family to handle your funds once they are released.