Department of Theatre and Film
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 1st from 4:30 – 9:30
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 2ND from 6:30-9:30
With Callbacks FRIDAY, OCTOBER 4th from 5-10
in the Heskett Studio
For the initial audition:
- Sing up for an audition time on the callboard by the Wolfe Center dressing rooms
- Fill out an audition form (also on the callboard) and bring it with you to auditions
- Prepare 32 bars of a Broadway song in the style of the show (rock-pop)
- Bring sheet music for that song in the correct key, with cuts marked clearly
- ALSO bring sheet music for other songs that show you off in case we want to hear another number
- Sing up for BOTH singing and dance audition times (not everyone in the show needs to dance)
IMPORTANT: Put your dance audition # (D1, D2, D3) by your name on the singing audition
Based on the book by Amanda Brown and the 2001 movie starring Reese Witherspoon, Legally Blonde’s basic story is about Elle Woods, a California sorority girl who fights her way into Harvard expressly to win back her boyfriend Warner. However, along the way she discovers she is much more than she appears to be on the surface.
Embedded in this journey of self-discovery are a variety of explorations and understandings around several issues:
- what it means to: “follow your heart”
- looking beneath the surface
- dreams/fantasies/illusions vs. reality
- appearances vs. reality
- the difference it can make to have someone believe in you
- what it means to live with personal integrity
- claiming your power on your path to self-discovery.
The show runs April 24 through 27, with evening performances Thursday, April 24 through Sunday April 27 at 8 pm and a Saturday matinee at 2 pm April 26.
Rehearsals will be Monday, February 17 – Wednesday, March 5th.
There will be NO REHEARSALS Thursday, March 6th – Sunday March 16 for Spring Break.
Rehearsals continue March 17 – to April 23 – our final dress rehearsals with an audience.
Typically we will rehearse 5 days a week. I try to avoid Saturday rehearsals completely, but usually find that Friday evenings (6:30 – 10) and Sunday evenings (5-9) are prime time to get everyone in a large cast together.
NOTE: Easter weekend is the weekend before we open. We will need to rehearse with technical elements on that weekend. If that is a problem for you we need to know right away. Put it on your conflicts on the audition sheet you fill out.
Legally Blonde - CHARACTER BREAKDOWN
|ELLE WOODS||The quintessential Valley Girl who follows her ex-boyfriend to Harvard Law School and realizes that she has more to offer than just a pretty face and a bubbly personality.|
Female, 18-25 yrs old
Range: Gb2 - G5
|EMMETT FORREST||A smart and sensitive law student who takes Elle under his wing. He is charming, quirky, loveable, and friendly.|
Male, 20-25 yrs old
Range: B2 - A4
|PAULETTE||A brash, caring, optimistic hair stylist who is friends with Elle and longs to find a man for herself.|
Female, 35-45 yrs old
Range: A3 - A5
|PROFESSOR CALLAHAN||A pompous, sleezy and manipulative law professor at Harvard who is highly successful, but completely immoral.|
Male, 45-55 yrs old
Range: A2 - F#4
|VIVIENNE KENSINGTON||A smart, savvy, and uptight law student and Warner's fiancee who initially dismisses Elle, but grows to be her friend.|
Female, 20-25 yrs old
Range: A3 - F5
|WARNER HUNTINGTON III||A good-looking but shallow and pompous guy who breaks Elle's heart and heads off to Harvard Law.|
Male, 20-25 yrs old
Range: Eb3 - Ab4
|ENSEMBLE||GREEK CHORUS; STUDENTS; DELTA NU MEMBERS|
(12-16 women, 7-12 men) several cameos (small featured roles)
|Delta Nu – Party girl|
Delta Nu – Studious
|GRANDMASTER CHAD||Reggae singer|
|Harvard Student – Pompous Entrepreneur|
Harvard Student – East Indian or Arab
Harvard Student – granola lesbian