Department of Telecommunications
A variety of scholarships are available for TCOM majors. Contact the School of Communication Studies Office, 302 West Hall, for a list of opportunities that may not be posted here.
More opportunities in the School of Media and Communication
TCOM Scholarships Now Available
A variety of scholarships are available each year from the Department of Telecommunications:
- J. Douglas Beaudry Memorial Scholarship
- Joseph Black Memorial Scholarship
- Outstanding Student Award for Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, & Senior
- Talent Scholarships for WBGU-FM and WFAL-AM
Details and the application form are available here - DETAILS, APPLICATION FORM
A list of EXTERNAL SCHOLARSHIPS relevant to TCOM students is also provided here. For more information, contact the SMC main office, 302 West Hall, 419-372-8349.
Department of TCOM Scholarships
The Department of Telecommunications annually awards several scholarships to outstanding TCOM students. Applications are due every February.
Return completed applications to:
School of Media and Communication
302 West Hall
Department of Telecommunications Talent Scholarships
WBGU-FM Chamber of Commerce Fund Radio Talent Performance Scholarship $1,000/semester
The WBGU-FM Chamber of Commerce fund will support the Radio Talent Performance Scholarship, which is awarded to qualified BGSU students that demonstrate exemplary talent in radio broadcasting and a commitment to volunteer service at the radio station.
To be eligible for the Radio Talent Performance Scholarship, students must:
- Actively participate in radio activities at BGSU;
- Have volunteered for a minimum of 50 hours in student radio activities during the preceding academic year, prior to applying for the scholarship;
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.25;
- Demonstrate proficiency in radio broadcast techniques by including an audio sample concurrent with the scholarship application.
Joseph Black Memorial Scholarship
J. Douglas Beaudry Memorial Scholarship
Outstanding Student Award
TCOM Alumni-Student Development Fund
To Support Professional Development Opportunities for TCOM Students
The TCOM Alumni Advisory Board & Subcommittee members established the TCOM Alumni Student Development Fund. The fund will provide financial support (up to $400 per request) to outstanding TCOM majors for the purpose of professional development which can include the following expenses:
- Travel and accommodation costs to attend professional conferences related to telecommunications & media studies.
- Registration fees for professional conferences related to telecommunications & media studies.
- Cost of purchasing relevant, professional reference books or other educational materials.
- Entry fees for film festivals or other media industry-related contests, competitions, and preparation of materials for such competition..
- Student membership fees for media and telecommunications-related professional associations and organizations.
- Partial support for travel or accommodation expenses incurred at out-of-state prestigious media company internships.
How You Can Apply:
Students will fill out the attached official application form and provide justification for their expenses. Based on the student’s credentials, the TCOM scholarship committee will decide if the request merits support. Students will need to provide necessary documentation after expenses have been incurred to be reimbursed. If they travel, they will be obliged to write a report about their experience and post it to the TCOM blackboard community (a restricted-access site for TCOM faculty and students only).
A minimum of two-weeks in advance of the incurred expense request is expected. The form should be submitted electronically to Dr. Sung-Yeon Park, Chair of the TCOM scholarship committee, at email@example.com. The committee will inform you of their decision within two weeks of receipt of requests.
The SMC Scholarship for Excellence