Healthy Living / Weight Stigma Research
Interested in our Weight Loss Program?
Description of the Current Weight Loss Program
Each year we conduct a weight loss intervention. Because we use the data for research purposes, the intervention is available to the public at no charge. The program will begin in January 2014 (the week of the 20th). The program emphasizes gradual weight loss, increased physical activity, and reduced calories and fat intake through permanent lifestyle changes.
This year we are comparing the effectiveness of two weight loss programs. You will be provided with a weight loss manual, an accelerometer, and instructions on how to record your energy intake and expenditure. The weekly, 90-minute classes will meet in small groups. The intervention will last approximately 16 weeks.
When Will the Next Weight Loss Program Begin?
Start Date: January, 2014
Location: Bowling Green State University, Psychology Building
1. Participants with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 27 or greater. To calculate your BMI click here.
2. Undergraduate students at BGSU are typically NOT eligible.
3. Smokers are typically NOT eligible.
4. Participants MUST be available to attend 1.5 hour classes on one evening per week.
5. Persons with certain medical conditions are sometimes not eligible
6. Participants must receive doctor's approval (a form is provided).
National Institutes of Health
The National Institute of Health;a great resource on health, including weight, nutrition, and physical activity.
American Heart Association
The American Heart Association has a Healthy Lifestyle page. A great resource on health, including weight, nutrition, and physical activity
National Weight Control Registry
The National Weight Control Registry is the largest prospective investigation of long-term successful weight loss maintenance. The NWCR is tracking over 5,000 individuals who have lost significant amounts of weight and kept it off for long periods of time.