of our ROTC program here are revered. Below is a quick recount of our history
and traditions as an officer producing program.
The Army ROTC program was established
at Bowling Green State University in the fall of 1948. Colonel William C.
Lucas, the first Professor of Military Science and Tactics, enrolled 245 men
in the Artillery Reserve Officers Training Corps. The Advanced Course consisted
of approximately fifty juniors who were veterans of W.W.II.
The first class was commissioned
in 1950 and produced five Regular Army Officers. Niles J. Fulwyler was selected
as the cadet Battalion Commander in 1952, 1952 was also the first time commissionees
completed the entire four year program. Fulwyler and two cadets received regular
Army commissions while thirty-three men received reserve commissions on 30
May 1952. At that time the ROTC band and cadet battalion marched in parades,
sponsored military balls featuring well known bands, and visited historical
Artillery tactics and leadership
methods were included in the program, in addition to drill practice during
common hours. Originally the ROTC program was designed to produce Artillery
Officers. In 1955-56, the unit was designated General Military Science and
has since produced officers for all branches of the Army.
Bowling Green State
University offers the modified General Military Science program as an elective.
It is a part of the light fighter Brigade which includes Ohio and Indiana.
The cadet Battalion is affiliated with the 148th Infantry Regiment whose motto
is "We'll Do It". The motto of the Fighting Falcon Battalion is
"Committed to Developing Leadership Excellence".
General officer Falcon alums include MG (R) Fulwyler, MG (R) Sweet, and MG
(R) Arwood. General John Abrams also graduated from BGSU.