Mathematics and Statistics
The Ohio Section: Appendix E
The CONSTITUTION and BY-LAWS below were adopted by the OHIO SECTION at its forty-eighth annual meeting held at the University of Akron on May 9, 1964.
- The name of this Organization shall be "The Ohio Section of the Mathematical Association of America", hereafter referred to as the Section.
- The officers of the Section shall be a President1, a Past-President, a President-Elect, and a Secreatary-Treasurer. The term of each officer shall be one year beginning at the date of the annual meeting and ending at the date of the next annual meeting. At the annual meeting the President shall become Past-President and shall install the President-Elect as President.
- The Executive Committee shall consist of the President, the Past-President, a President-Elect, and the Secretary-Treasurer, with the President as chairman.
- The Nominating Committee shall consist of the three most recent Past-Presidents (or Past-Chairmen) of the Section who are available for membership on the committee and who are not members of the Executive Committee. The most recent Past-President (or Past-Chairman) shall be chairman of the nominating committee.
- The Annual Meeting of the Section shall be held at a time and place as fixed either by the Executive Committee or by the Section.
- The Program Committee shall consist of three members, one elected each year by the Section at the annual meeting, to serve for a term of three years and to act as chairman for the final year of his term.
- The Executive Committee shall call such special meetings as it deems necessary or expedient.
- This constitution may be amended by the membership by written ballot, not more than one ballot per member, provided 55 percent of the ballots cast support the proposed amendment. The Secretary-Treasurer shall circulate a proposed amendment with appropriate ballot to all members upon receipt of an amendment proposal endorsed by at least ten members of the Section.
1The title "President" was changed to "Chairman" at the request of the MAA Committee on Sections.
- The President shall be the chief executive officer of the Section. He shall preside at all meetings of the Section as such, and shall be Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Section.
- The Executive Committee shall transact the business of the section between meetings of the Section and shall report its actions at the annual meeting of the Section. In case of a special meeting of the Section, the Executive Committee shall submit an interim report of its actions since the last preceding meeting of the Section. Interim reports will be included in the report submitted at the next succeeding annual meeting.
- With the aid of the Program Committee, which shall arrange suitable programs, The Executive Committee shall have the responsibility of organizing the annual meeting and all other meetings. At its discretion, it may delegate this responsibility to sub-committees appointed by it from the membership.
- The Executive Committee shall formulate plans and policies for the consideration of the Section in meeting assembled. In making such formulations, it shall take into account any and all suggestions which it may receive from individual members of the Section. In particular, it shall formulate and present at the annual meeting a budget to finance the operations of the Section for the year following such annual meeting.
- Membership dues, in an amount to be fixed by the Executive Committee but not to exceed one dollar per year, may be assessed. Once the amount of the dues is set, it shall remain fixed until changed by the Executive Committee.
- In the first year after the adoption of these by-laws, the Nominating Committee shall nominate candidates for the offices of President, President-Elect, and Secretary-Treasurer, and for one member of the Program Committee. In subsequent years the Nominating Committee shall nominate candidates for the office of President-Elect and Secretary-Treasurer and for one member of the Program Committee. The report of the Nominating Committee shall be addressed to the Section through the President, and shall reach the President's office not later than ten days prior to the date of the next succeeding annual meeting. In the Preliminary announcement of the next succeeding annual meeting to be circulated to the membership not later than thirty days prior to that meeting. The Secretary-Treasurer shall include a request for suggestions from members to the Nominating Committee relative to names of possible candidates for the offices to be filled. The name and address of the chairman of the Nominating Committee shall be included.
- The election of officers shall be held at the annual meeting. The report of the Nominating Committee shall constitute a list of candidates. This list may be augmented by nominations made and seconded from the floor. All elections of officers shall be by simple majority vote of those present and voting.
- In case of the vacation of an office between annual meetings, the procedure shall be as follows:
- Past-President. The most recently retired Past-President who is available for appointment shall be recalled to the office.
- President. The President-Elect shall succeed to the office and shall serve the remainder of the term and the succeeding term. In this case the Executive Committee shall appoint a fourth member of the Executive Committee to serve until the following annual meeting.
- President-Elect. The Executive Committee shall appoint a fourth member of the Executive Committee to serve until the following annual meeting. The Nominating Committee shall, in this case, nominate candidates for the offices of President, President-Elect, and Secretary-Treasurer, and member of Program Committee to stand for election at that meeting.
- Secretary-Treasurer. The Executive Committee shall appoint a Secretary-Treasurer to serve until the next succeeding annual meeting.
- Program Committee. The remaining member of the Committee next in sequence to act as chairman shall do so, and those junior to the absentee shall advance one year in sequence. At the next annual meeting additional members as needed shall be elected for short terms to restore the regular sequence of this committee.
- These By-Laws may be amended by the membership in annual meeting assembled, by a simple majority vote.