Mathematics and Statistics
Madison College is mentioned in an article of the Ohio Masters of Mathematics project. Our curiousity was piqued, since we had never heard if it. Once we established that the college was located in Antrim, Madison Township (hence the name), Guernsey County, Ohio, we managed to find information there. The first classes were held in 1835 in a log cabin, and the last commencement took place in 1859.
The first three of the following references are housed in the Findley Room of the Cambridge, OH library. Click to read the excerpt.
- William Wolfe, Stories of Guernsey County. pp. 436-440. Probably the best source. The picture above is reduced and comes from here.
- Col. Sarchet, History of Guernsey County, Ohio. pp. 135-137.
- Columbus Dispatch , Feb. 26, 1956. Contains a picture of the half-razed building.
- Map showing location of Antrim, OH.
- Site of Madison College, Antrim, OH, July, 2003.