Mathematics and Statistics
How to Apply for Admission/Assistantship
You should apply online. If you have difficulty, please contact the graduate secretary for more information.
The application process will be simplified if you adhere to the instructions below, sending all correspondence directly to the Department of Mathematics and Statistics.
- Complete and submit the application for admission online, marking the appropriate box if you wish to be considered for an assistantship (financial aid). [Assistantship decisions are made in March/April. Students with completed applications, who are selected to receive an assistantship are notified shortly thereafter.]
- You must submit (on a separate sheet of paper) your "Statement of Purpose" for attending graduate school at Bowling Green State University. Include your specific area of interest, if possible.
- Pay the application fee online along with your online application. The application fee is $45 for domestic students or $75 for international students.
- Arrange for two official transcripts to be sent from each institution attended (except Bowling Green State University----only one is needed from this institution). Transcripts are to be sent directly from the institution(s) to our Department of Mathematics and Statistics. In those cases where temporary transcripts are submitted initially, formal admission to the Graduate College is granted upon receipt of official transcripts showing the degree earned and the date it was completed.
- Submit official test scores for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Aptitude Test. You are encouraged to submit test scores for the GRE Advanced Test in Mathematics, but are not required to do so. The GRE Institution Code for BGSU is 1069. Please use the Department Code 0703. For registration form and detailed information about test dates, test centers, fees, and score reporting, applicants should visit http://www.ets.org/ or write to:
Graduate Record Examination
Educational Testing Service
Princeton, NJ 08541
- If your native language is not English, you must submit test scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the Official Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB). The minimum TOEFL score accepted for application consideration to the Mathematics and Statistics program is 590 for master's and 600 for doctoral students. This requirement cannot be waived. The TOEFL Code for BGSU is 1069. Please use the Department Code 72. For registration and detailed information about test dates, test centers, fees, and score reporting, applicants should visit http://www.ets.org/.
- Arrange for three (3) letters of recommendation to be forwarded to our department. At least one of the three letters should be from a member of the mathematics department at your undergraduate/graduate college or someone familiar with your mathematical abilities and your potential for completing a graduate program in mathematics and statistics.
- International students are required to fill out the Financial Statement.
- For those wishing to pursue the Mathematics Masters in Arts of Teaching Degree, a photocopy of a current teaching license or certificate from the State of Ohio or other state will need to be included with your application.
Address all documents and correspondence to:
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH 43403-0221 USA
Phone: (419) 372-2637, FAX: (419) 372-6092
(This eliminates incomplete files and speeds up the admission evaluation of your application.)
Due to budget constraints, correspondence will be kept to a bare minimum. It is your responsibility to make sure that your application is complete when mailing the materials. A completed application consists of:
Application for admission
Statement of purpose
Official transcripts from each university attended
Official GRE score
3 letters of recommendation
Official TOEFL score report (international students only)
Financial statement (international students only)
You will be notified of an admission decision within approximately one month from the date your complete application is received.