DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
CS 5420: TECHNIQUES OF SIMULATION
Principles of simulation and application of simulation languages to both continuous and discrete systems. Prerequisites: CS 2020 and MATH 2470 or equivalent.
- Simulation Language Tutorial
- Overview of Basic Approaches
- Monte Carlo Simulation
- Queuing Network Simulation
- Quasi-continuous Simulation
- Discrete-event Simulation <--- Emphasized
- Simulation Basics
- Basic Concepts:
System, Attribute, State, Event, Process, Activity, Time, Parallelism, Model
- Basic Mechanisms:
Time Advance, Scheduling
- Alternative Models:
Activity, Process, Others
- Basic Concepts:
- Stages of Simulation Model Development
- System Analysis
- Data Collection
- Fitting Distributions to Data:
- Parameter Estimation
- Iterative Prototyping
- Statistical Instrumentation
- Validation <--- Emphasized
- Abstract Representation Techniques
- Activity-cycle Diagrams
- State-Transition Diagrams
- Petri Nets
- Random Number Distributions
- Sources of Randomness
- Random Number Generation
- Random Variates
- From Distribution Functions
- From Empirical Data
- Evaluation of Simulation Modeling
- Ethical Issues in Simulation
- Benefits of Simulation
- Limitations of Simulation
This course will involve a major simulation project.
Student Learning Outcomes
- I can explain what computer simulation is and why it is needed.
- I can identify application areas of computer simulation such as industry defense, finance, and education.
- I can explain the differences between the types of simulation such as Monte Carlo, VS. Discrete Event, and/or Real-time simulation.
- I can explain how to develop and build a simulation model to be executed on a simulation tool.
- I can develop what-if scenarios with variable number of input parameters and configurations.
- I can identify and explain what are the important components of a Discrete Even Simulation Engine.
- I am familiar with at least one Commercial off the shelf simulation tool.
- I can explain why Random Number Generators are used in a typical simulation study.
- I can conduct analysis of the obtained result of the simulation study.
- I can explain the importance of Verification and Validation in a simulation study.