- Ph. D., University of Washington
- Office: 411 Life Sciences Building
- Phone: 1-419-372-9157
- Email: email@example.com
- Ancient DNA, ice , viruses, bacteria, and fungi; DNA/RNA preservation; Introns; Plant development
- Life in ancient ice: A Workshop
My lab has several concurrent focal areas of research. The projects have centered around the following areas:
- Characterization of microorganisms and nucleic acids from ancient and environmental ice,
- Characterization of DNA from ancient samples,
- Investigations of introns in fungi and fish,
- Extraction and preservation of nucleic acids,
- Evolutionary events in plants,
- Plant apical development,
- Phylogenetics of fungi,
- Novel evolutionary strategies of microorganisms.
Harris, L., and S.O. Rogers. 2011 Evolution of small putative group I introns in the SSU rRNA gene locus of Phialophora species. BMC Res. Notes 4: 258-262.
D'Elia, T. , R. Veerapaneni, V. Theraisnathan and S.O. Rogers. (2009) Isolation of fungi from Lake Vostok accretion ice. Mycologia 101: 751-763.
Harris, L., and S.O. Rogers. 2008. Splicing by an unusually small group I ribosyme. Curr. Genet. 54:213-222.
D'Elia, T., R. Veerapaneni, V. Theraisnathan and S.O. Rogers. 2008. Isolation of microbes from Lake Vostok accretion ice. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 74: 4962-4965.
Rogers, S.O., and Z. Kaya. 2006. DNA from ancient cedar wood from King Midas' Tomb, Turkey, and Al-Aksa Mosque, Israel. Silvae genet. 55: 54-62.
Zhang, G., D. Shoham, D. Gilichinsky, S. Davidou and S.O. Rogers. 2006. Evidence for influenza A virus RNA in Siberian lake ice. J. Virol 80: 12229-12235.
Shoham, D. and S.O. Rogers. 2006. Greenland as a plausible springboard for trans-Atlantic avian influenza spread. Med. Hypoth. 67:1460-1461.
Castello, J.D., S.O. Rogers, J.E. Smith, W.T. Starmer and Y. Zhao. 2005. Plant and bacterial viruses in the Greenland ice sheet. In: J.d. Castello and S.O. Rogers (eds.). Life in Ancient Ice. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, pp. 196-207.
Rogers, S.O., V. Theraisnathan, L.J. Ma, Y. Zhao, G. Zhang, S-G. Shin, J.D. Castello and W.T. Starmer. 2004. Comparisons of protocols to decontaminate environmental ice samples for biological and molecular examinations. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 70: 2540-44.
Grünig, C.R., C.C. Linde, T.N. Sieber and S.O. Rogers. 2003. Development of single-copy RFLP markers for population genetic studies of Phialophora fortinii and closely related taxa. Mycol. Res. 107: 1332-1341.