Graduate Certificate in Construction Management
The College of Technology, Architecture and Applied Engineering at BGSU offers a Graduate Certificate in Construction Management that consists of 15-credit hours (five courses), which can be a springboard to the Master of Technology management- Construction Management (MIT-CM) program. The Certificate can be completed in as little as one year. The content of these courses was recommended by the respondents to the survey described in the paper titled “Master of Construction Management Program at BGSU,” published in the ASCE Journal of Engineering Education, Oct 2006 and consultation with the representatives of the local construction industry. Therefore, the program is responsive to the needs of the industry for advanced technical management personnel.
This certificate offers a continuing education vehicle to construction professionals who desire to prepare themselves to upper management levels. This certificate prepares the student to address supervisory and managerial needs in a construction, engineering, and architecture environment. A special feature of the certificate is the flexibility in meeting the needs, interests, and career goals of students while addressing the needs of industry. The course material is delivered through lectures and hands-on problem solving taking advantage of the face-to-face and distance education means. To accommodate the time constraints of the students, the face-to-face classes hours are condensed to 21 hours of instruction/course/semester in evening.
The purpose of the certificate is enabling the students to:
- Resolve and reduce disputes on their construction projects
- Create win-win negotiation environment
- Enhance the bidding strategy of their firms
- Use advanced project management tools to plan and control projects
- Develop a strategic vision for their organizations
- Use advanced construction techniques to improve their projects.
Any five courses of the following courses satisfy the requirements of certificate:
- CONS 5000 – Advance Lead and Lean Construction
- CONS 5470 - Advanced Trenchless Technology Construction
- CONS 6410 - Contracts & disputes avoidance and resolution
- CONS 6420 - Project management
- CONS 6430 - Advanced estimating, bidding strategy, and cost control
- CONS 6450 - Negotiation in the engineering environment
- TECH 6440 - Engineering economics and strategic management
- TECH 6890 -