Statement on Status of Accreditation of the BGSU Professional (M. Arch Degree)
In the United States, most state registration boards require a degree from an accredited professional degree program as a prerequisite for licensure. The National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB), which is the sole agency authorized to accredit U.S. professional degree programs in architecture, recognizes three types of degrees: the Bachelor of Architecture, the Master of Architecture, and the Doctor of Architecture. A program may be granted a 6-year, 3-year, or 2-year term of accreditation, depending on the extent of its conformance with established educational standards.
Doctor of Architecture and Master of Architecture degree programs may consist of a pre-professional undergraduate degree and a professional graduate degree that, when earned sequentially, constitute an accredited professional education. However, the pre-professional degree is not, by itself, recognized as an accredited degree.
The NAAB grants candidacy status to new programs that have developed viable plans for achieving initial accreditation. Candidacy status indicates that a program should be accredited within 6 years of achieving candidacy, if its plan is properly implemented. In order to meet the education requirement set forth by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards, an applicant for an NCARB Certificate must hold a professional degree in architecture from a program accredited by the NAAB; the degree must have been awarded not more than two years prior to initial accreditation. However, meeting the education requirement for the NCARB Certificate may not be equivalent to meeting the education requirement for registration in a specific jurisdiction. Please contact NCARB for more information.
Bowling Green State University, Department of Architecture and Environmental Design was granted eligibility for candidacy for the following professional degree program in architecture:
- M.Arch. (pre-professional degree + 52 graduate credits)
- Initial visit for candidacy evaluation: 2013
- Projected year of initial accreditation: 2017
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards
- The American Institute of Architects
- The American Institute of Architecture Students
- AIA Toledo
- AIA Ohio
- The Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture
- The NCARB Handbook for Interns and Architecture
- Toward an Evolution of Studio Culture
- The Emerging Professional's Companion
- Statement on Status of Accreditation of the BGSU M. Arch Degree
- 2010 NAAB Procedures for Accreditation
- 2009 NAAB Conditions for Accreditation