College of Technology, Architecture & Applied Engineering
Report Completion Process & Guidelines
The purpose of the Co-op report is to assure that the student is gaining the greatest educational value possible from their Co-op experience. In preparation for the report, the student must properly evaluate their job, must be able to see applications of principles learned in school, and in general, must think clearly and objectively about their work experience.
A Co-op report is required for each cooperative education course. The written requirements vary depending on the level of Co-op that is taken. All reports must be word processed or typed, double-spaced, with one inch margins on all four sides. Each semester, a report template is provided for you to use through your MyBGSU account. You must use this template and submit your report via your MyBGSU account using the Blackboard course shell created each semester when completing your report. Each semester you will be given instructions similar to these stated below:
TO COMPLETE YOUR CO-OP REPORT
- Log on to your MyBGSU account.
- Click on the "Courses" tab at the top of the screen.
- Under "Courses in which you are enrolled", click on your co-op course, for example "Cooperative Education Fall 2011"
- Click on the appropriate report button at the left of your screen, according to whichever co-op you are completing that semester (TECH 2890, TECH 3890 or TECH 4890) and follow the instructions
- Your co-op report DUE DATE: By 11:59pm, on the deadline date listed during the semester in which you are completing your co-op (for deadline dates CLICK HERE)
- No exceptions or extensions will be given for late reports. If you do not successfully complete your report, you will receive a grade of "U" (Unsatisfactory) for the course, meaning that you have failed the course and will not receive credit for your co-op.
*** SPECIAL NOTE ***
TO WRITE YOUR REPORT, YOU MUST USE THE REPORT TEMPLATE FORMAT; HOWEVER, you can change the font, add images to the report, etc. to stylize and create a report that reflects your creativity and individuality. As long as the format for each objective of the report reflects the order listed below, you can be as creative as you like:
1 – Report objective number, title and objective text, listed at the top of the page.
2 – Your response written below.
3 – Begin each objective at the top of a new page.
Do not submit samples of reports, forms, charts, or other information about the employer that is confidential. If in doubt, check with the job supervisor.
Plagiarism: Representing the words or ideas of another as one’s own in any academic exercise.
Site Your Sources
If you include information from another source in your report, other than what you have written yourself, you must site these additional resources. Please refer to the BGSU Student Handbook, Academic and Student Codes of Conduct, Page 18 for more detailed information. When writing your report, you must adhere to all regulations listed in the Student Handbook as with any BGSU course assignment.
Sections within the Co-op report may vary in length. A suggested guideline is a minimum of one page per section. Co-op reports are evaluated by University Representatives based on quality of content, spelling, punctuation, grammar and complete and appropriate responses to all objectives. The Co-op report is not reviewed and graded by weight; it is merit that counts.