College of Technology
Student Responsiblities & Requirements
What Counts as a CO-OP? (Brief):
- Working 40 hours/week for 1 semester (Spring, Summer or Fall)
- Job duties must be related to your major.
- Must be supervised by employer/mentor in-person at all times.
- No work can be conducted from your personal residence/home, all must be at employer's place of business.
- Cannot be self-employed.
CO-OP Course Requirements (Detailed):
- You are required to complete 2 or 3 co-op courses, depending on your major. Consult your degree check sheet for this number.
- Your co-op job duties must be related to your major.
- You should receive compensation for your co-op employment. An unpaid option does exist, but is not preferred.
- CO-OP employment can not be self-employed or conducted from your residence. You must work at a professional location where business is conducted.
- You are required to alternate semesters on co-op with semesters of on-campus course work.
- Must work (40 hours per week) for 1 semester for co-op course credit (or PART-TIME FORMAT = 20 hours/week for 2 consecutive semesters).
- Your last semester is on-campus at BGSU, attending classes.
- Prior to completing your first co-op, you must complete all co-op prerequisites:
Description of Responsibilities:
- Submit a Cooperative Education application/registration prior to completing the work experience you wish to use for co-op credit. Retroactive work will not be accepted.
- Be sure that the co-op registration process is complete prior to the onset of the work experience. Check your Academic Calendar via your MyBGSU account to be sure the co-op course (TECH 2890, 3890 or 4890) is listed on your schedule. If it does not appear, you are not registered.
- Complete and submit the required Co-op Report.
- Adhere to all CO-OP course deadlines. You will be graded S/U based on the material submitted at the time of grading. If the co-op requirements are not completed, you will receive a failing grade of "U."
- Write a thank you letter to your co-op employer following the completion of your CO-OP.