It's Raining Pigs and
Have you ever written a poem? What kinds of poetry do you like? Complete the quest today to read funny poems and discover how to write funny poems on your own!
After reading the book It's Raining Pigs and Noodles by Jack Prelutsky, you will use the computer to learn how to write humorous poetry.
LANGUAGE ARTS CONTENT STANDARDS
The students will:
Follow these steps to complete your poetry quest:
1. As a class read It's Raining Pigs and Noodles by Jack Prelutsky.
2. After reading the poetry
in It's Raining Pigs and Noodles, go to http://www.bookpage.com/0204bp/children/poetry_roundup.html.
Silently read the review of Jack Prelutsky's newest poetry book titled
The Frogs Wore Red Suspenders.
3. Visit http://www.poetryzone.ndirect.co.uk/capers.htm. Read the poem called "A Menu to Make My Teacher Angry". After reading the poem silently, think about what the author was trying to say through this poem.
4. Go to http://www.kristinegeorge.com/kids_tips_1.htm. Follow the directions to read "Tips for Young Poets". On a piece of writing paper, write down 5 tips for writing poetry.
5. Practice writing your own poetry! Print out the page at http://www.gigglepoetry.com/newfangledfibhd.cfm. Fill in the blanks on the printed poem to write your very own poem!
6. Since you've practiced filling in the blanks, try the next step of writing poetry and write your own poem! Print out the page at http://www.gigglepoetry.com/grabbag.cfm?T=1&P1=24.
Read the "Toes in my Nose" poem silently. Brainstorm some ideas that you would like to write a poem about. If you need some help with writing topic, ask your teacher for help. Once you have picked your topic, write your own funny poem using the same format as "Toes in My Nose" on a separate piece of paper.
You will be evaluated by your teacher with the following Rubric:
Congratulations! You have completed your poetry quest! You are now a poet and you know it!
Children's Book Page. Poetry Reviews. Retrieved April 10, 2002 from http://www.bookpage.com/0204bp/children/poetry_roundup.html
Giggle Poetry. Children's Poetry & Fill-in-the-blank Poems. Retrieved April 10, 2002 from http://gigglepoetry.com/
Hellas Multimedia. Education Clip Art and Images. Retrieved April 10, 2002 from http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/education/default.htm
Kristine George. Children's Poetry. Retrieved April 10, 2002 from http://www.kristinegeorge.com
Poetry Teachers. Poetry Teaching Ideas. Retrieved April 10, 2002 from http://www.poetryteachers.com
Poetry Zone. Children's Poetry. Retrieved April 10, 2002 from http://www.poetryzone.ndirect.co.uk/capers.htm
Prelutsky, J. (2000). It's Raining Pigs and Noodles. New York, NY: Scholastic Incoporated.
Created by Katie Sears, Spring